Linguaholic

Do you play any video games in languages other tha English?

More than once I have received games that come totally in Japanese. I have tried to play them, but I haven't succeed with them, particularly when they need to annotate keys to unlock the next level, but I don't understand the hints, LOL

I got once a Japanese copy of a game I had already in English and, yeah, I thought I could play it because having played the English version, I knew where to find just everything and how to unlock levels.

However, and to my surprise, the game I got in Japanese was a previous release of such game; a prototype game, and therefore nothing was in the places the items were found in the English version, but the worst part of it was not about not being able to play it, but having trade it for another game. I had a unique game and I let it go!!!

I always play games in Japanese, that's part of one of my careers any way.
But I'm recently looking into games with Spanish and Russian language options, lots of Nintendo games are localised into both languages, so it wouldn't be a problem.
But it must be an RPG or another game with lots of text, Pokémon for example has a permanent language setting; once you chose a language, you can't change it unless you completely destroy your save data.

Perhaps The Legend of Zelda or Star Fox games may help otherwise?
I don't mind playing Final Fantasy neither though.

But nonetheless, if you play games to learn languages, better avoid Super Mario games.
Mario games generally come with a little amount of text and the voice acting is always in English, no matter the chosen language.

• 4 weeks later...

A spin-off game from my favorite series (Monster Hunter) is only available in Japanese. I tried playing it , but I don't think I had enough practice with general video game actions to make it work. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do, and because I couldn't read/say the text out loud, I couldn't remember it from screen to screen to find where ti was consistent. 

Has anyone found that written language vs. spoken language in a game is more helpful?

4 hours ago, Meow said:

Has anyone found that written language vs. spoken language in a game is more helpful?

Yes, but only if you do it the right way.
I have explained how I do it here.

It's totally like this. If it wasn't for me playing videogames when i was younger, i wouldn't speak english like this. Not only i play videogames with setting the language in English (even because often Italian is not available), but even speaking with people in English in online videogames helped me a lot! Sometimes i try to speak Spanish too with Spanish people. I even tryed to set a game in Korean to learn to recognize the alphabet and get used to read it, when in the future i will learn Chinese characters better i will do it even with this language :) 

Finally, science is confirming what we all already knew: playing games in English is useful for writing English :)

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160121093415.htm

One more argument in the eternal discussion between myself and game haters who think that games result in nothing but killers and maniacs roaming the earth :)

Maybe the fact is that a game is suppost to be "funny", interesting, pleasant, so you learn the language better remembering the things you do in the game! In my opinion and experience it makes sense. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

No, I haven't tried playing video games in another language. In fact, I accidentally downloaded a game that was in Spanish or Portuguese, and I had a hard time installing it as I was reading the instructions in notepad since it was in another language. I think I would rather learn a new language via other means like watching foreign tv shows rather than playing video games.

I have completed several games in french, and ended up picking up a lot of vocabulary, but was certainly frustrating given my french level in that moment. I don't recommend this path of language learning unless you reach an intermediate level. There are more effective ways to learn. But eventually if you are ok with the challenge then proceed to learn as you wish.

• 2 months later...

That is a good way of learning but I have never tried it though. Getting to know the commands helps you to learn about the game. For now I only have games which are in English. Maybe I will start downloading applications which are in Chinese because I am learning Chinese! Hope that they will help me learn Chinese. 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This actually depends on the game but for the most part whenever I play japanese games, i tend to use english subtitles since it is more natural and smooth when on japanese lol, but other than that I just play gamdom slots which is casual gambling but if i use vpn I switch to portugal and german if i don't have access on some sites. And on other days I play warzone and elden ring.