Linguaholic

For beginners: "What language should I learn"? "What is the easiest one"? (NOT MY QUESTION!)

宇崎ちゃん

My opinion on which language to learn has changed.  Sometimes the language chooses you regardless of what you think about the usefulness of any of the languages you want to learn.  My best languages are the ones that I was the most passionate about, not the ones that I thought would be the most useful to know. 

• 1 month later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

On 26.01.2017 at 0:08 AM, Filiger said:

When i was in Asian a dutch guy who was fluent in Malaysian told me that Malaysian is really easy : the grammar and conjugation would be like typical asian language (so quite easy), the writing would use "roman" letters most of the time and every letter would be prounounced. I have no idea about this language ! Does someone here share the same opinion  than this guy I met in Asian ?

If you are going to live in Malaysia - learn this beautiful language. If you are not going to live there - then why?

I didn't write that I wanted to learn this language ...

But anyway I don't think we really need to live in a country for starting to learn a language :) Firstly there is the challenge to master an "exotic" language and apparently this one is quite easy to learn (writing + speaking + understanding). Secondly it must be nice to order in a Malaysian Restaurant in their own language. Thirdly why noy having holidays here quite often ? It is not so expensive and this country looks promising. Fourtly and why not working there ? KL looks like being an amazing city. There are lot of Malaysian also in Singapore etc.

On 3/17/2016 at 4:15 AM, reverserewind said:

There is no such thing as an easy language. The level of difficulty totally depends on how much difference there is between your mother tongue and the one you would like to master.

I agree with this!!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is no such thing. Each language has its own flavour. Being easy or difficult is completely relative.

Arabic for example is perceived by many people as a very tough language. Knowing this, I explain Arabic words and sentences slowly and stress on how the word is pronounced and written. For me as a native, it is different.

If you think a particular language is difficult, this may also depend on how close this language to your own language. For instance, an Italian speaker may consider learning French way much easier than learning Chinese or Arabic. Again it is all relative. 

I would say

'Practice makes perfect' - the most difficult language in the world - again, relative to you - will become easy with practice :)

On 9/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, Maria French said:

I agree with this

i think you should to learn English.

Bonjour! 

I agree that you are write. Recently I found a beginner's English Book on amazon.com for new learners. I find it easy. Tres facile! That book is at 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0755GMG6J    One is in french edition and other is in English edition. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07572RW46

• 2 months later...

I believe that any language is able to be learned. However, having a mother tongue that comes from the same language family such as a Latin can definitely help as you will be familiar with certain root words and sounds. If anyone is interested in studying Spanish, I have started a YouTube channel called Españoliza Tu Vida to provide lessons for anyone who is interested in starting. You can find the channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFgcbSRQddXuprnSJGBS3FA 

I hope you enjoy them and the best of luck to everyone on their language journeys!

• 6 months later...

There is only one answer to this question...

ESPERANTO!!!

This is an artificial language, and not many people speak it at this stage, so it isn't directly useful.

HOWEVER

It makes learning other languages easier.

AND THAT IS WHAT IS SO GOOD ABOUT IT!!!

Spanish is extremely easy internationally. Esperanto is fairly similar, but it is engineered to be even EASIER!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that English and Spanish are the easiest to learn for most people. In my opinion, learning English is not mandatory but it is essential to at least have a grasp of it. 

I think that people should learn a language that they will really use in real life. A language that will provide them with opportunities, give them an edge and will help them succeed in life. But it differs with everyone. There are people who master a foreign language because they want to embrace, absorb and understand a country's culture, so that's where passion comes in. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 6:31 PM, Ailcua said:

I have to agree that English and Spanish are the easiest to learn for most people. In my opinion, learning English is not mandatory but it is essential to at least have a grasp of it. 

I think that people should learn a language that they will PVC logi really use in real life. A language that will provide them with opportunities, give them an edge and will help them succeed in life. But it differs with everyone. There are people who master a foreign language because they want to embrace, absorb and understand a country's culture, so that's where passion comes in. 

I really think that english is easy to learn because all around us everyone speaks english, so many great youtubers and movies to watch

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Carlos Silva said:

Hello Can I learn English on Linguaholic? How Can I do for speak or chat whith other peoples?

Dear Carlos, welcome to Linguaholic

Just open some threads and ask some interesting questions, for instance. Moreover, you can visit our Language Exchange Corner

Just leave a message there and tell everybody what you are looking for exactly. For instance, you could say that you are looking for a native English speaker to chat with or something like that. I am sure you get the idea.

Best wishes from Beijing, 

L

On 6/26/2018 at 11:31 AM, Ailcua said:

I think that people should learn a language that they will really use in real life. A language that will provide them with opportunities, give them an edge and will help them succeed in life. But it differs with everyone. There are people who master a foreign language because they want to embrace, absorb and understand a country's culture, so that's where passion comes in. 

I agree with you. A language should be learned for a reason and not because it is easy. It makes sense to learn English because it's a global language and a modern lingua franca. But what's a point to learn something you're not going to use (even if it's easy), right?

However, I wouldn't say that English and Spanish are the easiest ones. There's a post on exactly this topic that weighs quite a few interesting factors determining what would be the easiest language for you to learn: http://linguapath.com/easiest-language-to-learn/.

Plus, I guess it all depends on your point of reference. If you grew up in China and learned Mandarin as a child, Spanish and English would give you a hell of hard time. However, if you're from Europe, there's a high chance that the structure of your mother tongue is very similar to these two languages. In this case, you can consider them easy for sure.

34 minutes ago, Alina K said:

I agree with you. A language should be learned for a reason and not because it is easy. It makes sense to learn English because it's a global language and a modern lingua franca. But what's a point to learn something you're not going to use (even if it's easy), right?

However, I wouldn't say that English and Spanish are the easiest ones. There's a post on exactly this topic that weighs quite a few interesting factors determining what would be the easiest language for you to learn: http://linguapath.com/easiest-language-to-learn/.

Plus, I guess it all depends on your point of reference. If you grew up in China and learned Mandarin as a child, Spanish and English would give you a hell of hard time. However, if you're from Europe, there's a high chance that the structure of your mother tongue is very similar to these two languages. In this case, you can consider them easy for sure.

Agreed. There just is no such thing as "the easiest language to learn". It really all depends on your point of reference. Same with constructed languages. There again, those constructed languages are based on linguistic concepts that already exist. So they are basically based on other existing languages. And therefore, the "problem" with the point of reference stays the same. 

22 hours ago, linguaholic said:

Agreed. There just is no such thing as "the easiest language to learn". It really all depends on your point of reference. Same with constructed languages. There again, those constructed languages are based on linguistic concepts that already exist. So they are basically based on other existing languages. And therefore, the "problem" with the point of reference stays the same. 

Wow, that's an interesting remark, L! I've never thought about constructed language here, thank you for this one.

And it's exciting that even Espéranto is built upon the linguistic "foundation" of its creator: Slavic-based phonology, Romano-Germanic lexical base, plus some Yiddish influence. Maybe if Zamenhof had a chance to learn an Asian language he would introduce certain elements from there. Who knows?

I'm wondering if the human brain is able to create something new without relying on the previously acquired knowledge.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As my closest friend, who is being a poet, have been said once upon a time:

American English tough even for Americans

And here we should take into account, that language's "complexity" usually primarily relates to society levels. Language is a method people segregation. it contains hundreds almost invisible signs, that allow people from the same social group recognize each other. So, countries with a flat social model usually have easy language. But problem is that: Language from those countries can't be interesting for learning for the vast majority of people.    

• 2 months later...

You can learn the Efik language, the language of the people of Calabar in Nigeria. The Learn Efik App on Google Play Store can teach you the language. The app speaks the Efik Language and also showcases the rich culture of the Efik people and you can also watch videos to see how to prepare some delicious Efik cuisines. 
Click here to download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ultimateappmaker.learnefikandroid

As we know, learning foreign languages is bliss because students get wonderful job opportunities. Students can look forward to working in  tourism industries as well as many fields are available like Multi National companies, media, in the government sector, in the research field and much more.  

German is one of the most widely spoken language at international level. It is the official language of various countries, including Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Belgium. After the English language, it is the most commonly spoken languages in the European Union. Also, German language is easy for learning. 

For getting more information about learning German language, just go through the link given below:

https://germanlanguageclassesinpune.com/best-german-language-courses-classes-in-pune/

time_to_learn_german_best1.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2016 at 1:25 AM, Blaveloper said:

NOTE: THIS IS NOT MY OWN QUESTION, THIS TOPIC IS MEANT TO CUT THE AMOUNT OF "WHAT SHOULD I LEARN"-TYPE OF TOPICS!

Even though the best answer is obvious and applies to literally everyone, I understand beginners to language learning don't know the answer.
You can see this throughout this entire forum, on other forums, on social media, even in real life this question seems to be a big struggle to everyone.
With this thread I'd like to give you a solid answer to both questions: "What language should I learn"? and "What is the easiest one"?

The answer is: follow your heart.
Take an honest look at the culture of all languages you consider to learn, research each of them throughout.
Which culture did you like most? That's the language you should learn AND that's the easiest one.

Simple enough ey?

Languages are closely tied to cultures.
The golden rule is: if you don't like the culture, it'll be very difficult to learn.
And if you manage to learn it any way, you'll forget it quickly.
This goes for all languages, from Romance languages to Chinese. From Swahili to Slavic languages.

That's all.

Any complaints, doubts, disagrees or similar?
Feel free to ask or comment.

You should try with HINDI, one of the easiest and 4th most spoken language in the world.

I found useful. Have a look  https://unacademy.com/course/learn-hindi-language/K5XIASJX   well explained and for FREE.