Linguaholic

Is JA Sensei a good app to start learning Japanese? [JAPANESE]

victionicious

A while ago I started trying out JA Sensei to try and begin learning Japanese as a language. I struggled with it a little mainly due to its difficulty as a language, but is JA Sensei one of the better apps out there for learning Japanese?

Are there any alternatives or any apps that I could use as a supplement to JA Sensei? It seems like a great, well-made app, and since I've paid for it I don't really want to keep paying for more apps if this is one of the better ones.

Would it also be better to learn the extremely basic ideas behind Japanese elsewhere before using the app? Culture is apparently a huge part of Japanese as a language, so I'd love to know of different apps and resources.

Thanks!

I just checked it out (not installed, I only have a Windows phone at the moment), my first thought was "could have been better".
I see it's just a textbook in disguise, but looking at the screenshots and reading the description, it's lacking so many important elements to help you remember anything.

I always recommend to work with SRS + mnemonics, quizzes which you need to answer by typing (NOT multiple choice! We want to master a language, not an exam!), limited use of English/native language (preferably not at all) and speaking with an actual human being (live, not recorded).
Besides, you can't just rely on a single app.
You'll need to use the language all day long for many weeks or months to come.

I don't expect you to only use Japanese though.
I must use Dutch, Polish and English every single day and I still manage to make progress in other languages.