Linguaholic

Evolution of English - how did some Brits lose the the letter 'R'?

BWL

One of the most apparent differences between North American English and many (but not all) British dialects is the pronunciation of syllabic final 'R'. Most American accents are rhotic (except in some areas in the Northeast and eastern seaboard like New York and New England and in the South like parts of Georgia and New Orleans) and speakers pronounce the 'R' in words like, "bar", "car", "bird" etc. Many English accents (but not necessarily all of them), as well as the accents of Australia and New Zealand tend to be non-rhotic, meaning the 'R' at the ends of syllables are silent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English

How did this situtation arise? Here's a tantalising clue, Elizabethan English in London and the South of England; meaning the language spoken during the time of Shakespeare and in which he wrote his famous plays and sonnets, was rhotic.

Shakespeare's original pronunciation sounded a little bit like how modern West Country people speak in the UK and it does sound eerily American as well. In the clip above, a comparison of modern RP and Elizabethan English pronunciation starts around 2:58 mins.

Apparently sometime around the late 18th and early 19th centuries, in London and other cities in the South of England, members of the aristocracy dropped their final 'R's and this then became the origin of a "posh" British accent. The R-dropping had already begun in informal speech much earlier but it was only around Jane Austen's time that it became a part of "proper" English.

American and Canadian (as well as many rural UK dialects) actually preserve some pronunciations that had become unfashionable among upper-class English people in Southern England more than two centuries ago.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

That's fascinating, thanks a lot! I personally don't like the way British English sounds. Contrary to most English learners whose native language is pretty much different from English, I could produce the "R" sound the first week (or even day) I started. I did it the American way. So, that's probably why American English became my ultimate choice in the future.

Aw, I can't watch it because I'm in Japan.  How's that for bizarre?  

Still, I remember learning about the origins of English in high school.  I'm very glad that we are no longer using the language of the Dark Ages or from The Canterbury Tales.
What always astounds me, though, is how different American English is from British English.  Even Australian English is unique.  Dependent on location and demographics, what has influenced development of vocabulary is intriguing.  Imagine how language might be if people had spread around the world a bit differently, or if certain pronunciations were emphasized more than others.  

I mean, we could all be speaking in Cockney right now...

This is a very interesting piece of information. Personally I like the American accent because it sounds more down-to-earth, if I may say so. It's great for learning. However, the British accent also has its flavor and value in various circumstances. A British girl speaking English sounds sexy! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Uhm, this explains a lot. I guess this thread answered the question I made not so long ago on the British accent turning to what it is now, at least in London (I love the way people from there speak). It's very interesting, and yes, I had read it was started by the upper class.  Amazing what a small group of people can do to  a language D:

Wow! This is a very interesting and informative piece. Pronunciation does make a big difference in one's take on things. I especially love that they included in the piece one of my favorite Shakespearean piece: Sonnet 116. Boy, it really was different when delivered in its original pronunciation. Quite amazing!