Linguaholic

Recommended Study App for Spanish

roger1003

I really wanted to learn Spanish. Do you have any suggestions on what apps I can use to do this? Are there courses in Spanish in Coursera, Udacity, edX, and other similar sites? I've heard about Duolingo and I also watched some Spanish lessons on YouTube.

Hey, have you tried using Rosetta Stone? I've tried using it once to learn Spanish and I thought it was very comprehensive. They use good graphics to help you understand the words. They even use your microphone so you can learn to speak the terms and they will analyze if you said the words correctly. 

I like DuoLingo and I have the Berlitz software that I bought at Office Depot for $10. You can also check your local library because they have tons of software, audiobooks and workbooks that will teach you how to read, write and speak for free! 

You should try the  Spanishpod101 site, it's not very  cheap but if you are truly serious about learning Spanish... it will prove to be super useful.  Well worth the money. I will actually get a subscription to the Dutchpod101 site in the future :)  So many materials available in there, and if you are willing to pay a bit more you can actually get the help from a teacher and even a personalized study plan. 

• 2 weeks later...

Duolingo is great for the start I think... it is nothing for "learning" a language well, but it gives you a really good idea about it and is also nice in order to review grammar topics. Moreover, there exist tons of softwares- and internetsites. Many friends of mine love babbel (I haven't tested it yet). Furthermore, you could check groupon regularely. They often have offers for learning a language online.

But I think that softwares and learning alone won't make you fluent in any language. You need to attend at least some classes or look for intercambios in the internet. I have learned tons of grammar and vocabulary, but I absolutely lacked in conversation skills. Thus, I went to Spain and learned at a language school, where I improved a lot- a Spanish immersion is always the best way to go. Ailola, my language school in Madrid, offered high quality lessons for a reasonable price. The course was demanding and thus, I learned a lot, although it was a bit exhausting at times. If you ever have the opportunity to go to Spain I can absolutely recommend Madrid. It's an international city and people are simply lovely :)

• 1 month later...