Linguaholic

Who was the toughest and strictest teacher or professor you ever had?

linguaholic

I never had an extremely strict / tough teacher to be honest. Some of my Chinese teachers have been pretty "demanding" though:=) Especially in China. Most of the teachers there did not know our real name (this was probably due to the big number of students in every class), so they always had a list with all the names and they would use that list all the time to ask questions. So, when we had some homework, the next they the teacher would start at eight o clock in the morning asking 100's of questions and just going through the list with all the names..again and again and again....:doubtful:

The English department at my school was very lax (I think the majority of them smoked weed lol). The French department was about as opposite as you could get. The teachers were all native French speakers, so they felt great frustration when students didn't understand what had been ingrained in their brains since birth. At times it made me feel stupid, even if it wasn't their intent.

I had an English professor who was strict in the class. She did not want to hear any noise when she's in front. All the cellphones should be off or in silent mode. One time she ask my classmate to get out because she forgot to silent her phone and somebody called her. She was strict but she teach really well.

In college, I had a Spanish literature professor who was very strict in the classroom, and sometimes confrontational.  If she saw that students were distracted or not paying attention -- or perhaps even dozing off -- while she was speaking she would call on them and ask them questions.

Sometimes it created an uncomfortable environment, and we would feel bad for the student called on.  But at the same time, collectively we realized that we had to stay focused.  And even more importantly, that we had to read the assignments, understand what we had read, and be able to discuss them in class. 

Our chief warden in college right now. I had to take a course under him and found that he was a brilliant teacher and not strict at all when in class. But when out of it, he was nightmare come to flesh. I've never seen a man more hated by the student community than he was.

I had an English teacher in the 6th grade who was like a drill sargeant.  You couldn't say "like" or "um", ever.  He'd flip out.  And if you didn't read loudly enough he would chastise you in front of everybody.  He'd often randomly ask pupils to define words in the texts we were reading and he'd go haywire if anyone used the word they were defining in the actual definition.

A maths teacher just couldn't relate to me at all. I got 0% in a test once and just didn't know what to do about that. Don't think he'd ever come across that before. Maybe he felt like a failure because his student did so badly. Very strict but obviously couldn't teach.

Good question, I'm torn between 2, my English teacher in my sophomore year in high-school and my highschool football coach (I know hes not exactly a teacher or professor).

My English teacher was nothing short of a terror had the worst looking frown I've ever seen had the worst temper among all my past teachers. She'd blow her top for just about anything wrong in class, from students chatting , sleeping, even if you looked like you weren't listening, every student was at their best behavior during her class.

My soccer coach would make us jog around our football field for an hour, and if he caught you walking or taking a breath, he's add 15 minutes to your jogging time. He had tattoos and a beard, he would smoke even if it was prohibited and would curse with almost every sentence that came out of his mouth.

I had a few French teachers that would make us saying EVERYTHING in French even when we were only learning our first few verb tenses. It actually made it more difficult as opposed to helping us learn.

My most demanding teacher was a private Russian teacher that came to my house and made me suffer saying the dates in Russian over and over again... For example 1985 - тысяч девятьсот восемьдесят пять, can you say that again?  :cry:

My French teacher in the university was very very strict that I literally had to prevent myself from sleeping at night just to make sure that I know what to say during the class next day.  I think it was a good strategy from him because I really learned a lot in his class and I pushed myself to the limit.

The hardest teacher I ever had was my Spanish teacher. Her class was so tough, and not only was it tough but, she always gave us homework. I would never forget the first quarter of her class I finished with an F. After that I started paying more attention, finally getting good at Spanish.

Not a teacher as such, but my current boss is very strict on grammar and punctuation. He is very well-spoken and picks up on absolutely everything!

When I need to send him an email, I must sit there for half an hour trying to decide if it's of an acceptable standard for him to read.

Seriously, you get a bunch of them. Some are really tough and some are using it as a facade to intimidate the students and breed fear that they're fierce. It was my religion professor but he doesn't show this persona for us to fear him but rather to respect him and for us to learn to discipline ourselves without being yelled at.

Seriously, you get a bunch of them. Some are really tough and some are using it as a facade to intimidate the students and breed fear that they're fierce. It was my religion professor but he doesn't show this persona for us to fear him but rather to respect him and for us to learn to discipline ourselves without being yelled at.

I think providing you know he's doing it for that reason and he's made it clear that he's doing it for that reason then that's a great approach to have.

My absolute strictest teacher was my high school geography teacher. She was brilliant and expect a lot from us. Our exams were 7 to 10 pages of maps. I remember the maps being poor photocopies. Once she collected our notebooks to grade how well we took notes in her class. She told me that if I worked hard, I could get a "B" in her class. I was a straight "A" student.  :amazed: The upside is that I know more about geography than the average American.

My strictest language teacher was my Spanish teacher in college. She didn't speak one word on Spanish. You had to understand or figure it out someone.

• 6 months later...

My toughest and strictest teacher was my sixth grade Primary school teacher. She was a good teacher who made certain that we all performed well both in academics and behavior. After all it was our year for the big school leaving exams and not only did she want to feel proud but she did it for us and our parents too. She wasn't afraid to come down hard on us with the strap and other punishments when we under performed. My teacher and all 43 students and their parents were quite proud on graduation day. :angel:

I can vividly remember our English Literature professor during our university days. He is kinda old already in his 70s and is quite strict and stiff in class at the same time. There was a time when some of my classmates were laughing at the back and then he suddenly called my name and scolded me in front of the class for he thought I was included among those who laughed loudly. He just saw me smiling that time and thought I was one of those making noises. I just said sorry even if I am not doing anything wrong and he replied the harm has been done LOL but after class, he apologized to me, in return. :wink:

the strictest teacher i ever had was my English teacher in primary school. he was very strict and punished you for very small mistakes which in my opinion was abuse. one day i got one question wrong and i got the most punishment compared to those who had gotten most of the questions wrong.

Not a teacher as such, but my current boss is very strict on grammar and punctuation. He is very well-spoken and picks up on absolutely everything!

When I need to send him an email, I must sit there for half an hour trying to decide if it's of an acceptable standard for him to read.

I know the feeling!  I had a professor in college who was like that, and he wasn't even an English professor, but he sure would nitpick about our grammar. I too had to read what I had written in my papers and stuff over and over again to make sure he wouldn't mark it up with his infamous red marker, haha!

I will never forget my teacher back on the 2nd grade and she's my math teacher. She literally threw blackboard erasers at me and my classmate because we were talking during the class. And we weren't really even that loud! Omg it was traumatizing!

Probably the first ever teacher we had from ages 5-7. She was not a bad teacher but the strictest we had ever had. Generally though the teachers I've had were not strict at all and had very little discipline, which certainly wasn't good in the long run.