Linguaholic

I put dutch language learning on hold

Trellum

Hi guys!  It's been a while since I passed my exam, sadly I haven't studied dutch since then :P  I'm still waiting for my MVV,  I decided I'd wait to get it in order to start learning dutch.  Otherwise I might fail miserably because this waiting is stressing me out so much,   it makes me so nervous we haven't hear from them in over a month, but I know it takes them around  months tops to take a decision.   I just can't focus. 

So my new plan is: get a sub to Dutch101 once I get to the Netherlands and take it from there :)  I might consider paying a bit extra, so that way I can get the personalized help from a Dutch teacher.  I will get a job as soon as possible, so I guess I will also get to practice the language and hear an everyday dutch.  This is odd, but I can't wait to go back to learning Dutch :)  I'm starting t like it ^_^   Wish me luck guys, waiting is so hard! 

What is an MVV?

You actually shouldn't pause learning any language.
I made that mistake with German (not really pausing it, I simply felt like I became fluent and haven't been doing anything with that language since) and my German skills have dropped sooner than I thought.
I can no longer consider myself fluent in German, although I can still understand a lot when written.

But if you really feel like you can't concentrate on active learning, my suggestion would be to at least read some Dutch web articles.
Those are mostly free of charge, and you'll maintain your current Dutch skills, even though you're not actually learning anything (or maybe you will occasionally).

• 2 weeks later...

MVV stands for residence permit ;)  By the way, I just found out my MVV got approved, so I am moving out soon.   I need to start learning dutch again,   I am going to Mexico city soon, hopefully  if all goes well I will finally get my MVV.  I've 3 months to do that. Thanks for the advice, I will try that :)  I am actually looking to learning new words, what would you recommend for that?  I mean, what do you recommend for memorization of new words? 

The best would be to get a level higher.
If you do courses in A1 all the time, then obviously you'll see the same words over and over again.

Here in the Netherlands you'll definitely find new words everywhere in the wild.
You could alternatively check out some news in Dutch and note all the words you don't know yet.
There are plenty of websites like that, a nice website to find these websites is Startpagina or Headliner.

Keep in mind that both websites list sites with lots of views only, so if you're looking for personal blogs, you're out of luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2016 at 2:09 AM, Blaveloper said:

The best would be to get a level higher.
If you do courses in A1 all the time, then obviously you'll see the same words over and over again.

Here in the Netherlands you'll definitely find new words everywhere in the wild.
You could alternatively check out some news in Dutch and note all the words you don't know yet.
There are plenty of websites like that, a nice website to find these websites is Startpagina or Headliner.

Keep in mind that both websites list sites with lots of views only, so if you're looking for personal blogs, you're out of luck.

Thanks, I wasn't planing to use more A1 courses anymore, because I feel I am way past that ;)  But I feel there are some basic words I haven't learnt yet.  Oh and by the way, those people who created the tests I took in Mexico, definitely went a bit higher than A1.  I plan to complain about that once I get my permanent residence permit.  They definitely used words  that were never in the course, which is funny, because they said that as long as you memorized everything in that book you'd pass. And I know I got less points because of that advanced vocabulary (advanced for someone who is at level A1).  I asked the person if they would use words that weren't in the course and he chose to ignore me (via e-mail), so basically his silence was the answer. Totally misleading!