Linguaholic

Why Spanish is a Language worth learning?

Spanish is the second most widely spoken language in the world. The whole of South America speaks Spanish and it is spoken in Mexico and many parts in the south of the United States. of course it is also spoken in Spain too. There are many different dialets of Spanish, so depending on where you learn it, that will be the dialect you learn, although written Spanish is all the same.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Learning Spanish is very important, second only to English in my opinion in terms of usefulness.

The are SO many countries you can travel to and need Spanish to make yourself understood, that it's imperative if you want to do any traveling.

I might live in Florida. Is Spanish used widely in that state? I'm just curious. There's also a chance I might be forced to learn the language haha, if my fiance gets me to live in Colombia. It does sound very interesting and we do share words with Spanish so maybe it would be much easier than say, French.

Spanish is actually very popular in Miami, some people even joke about Spanish become the official language of the state. In my opinion, Spanish is much easier to learn and speak than French. It would be a good idea for you to learn Spanish.

The southern half of the United States speaks plenty of Spanish, so if you live or plan to live in the south U.S. it's going to be helpful. Don't for get that the majority of South America speaks Spanish, with the exception of Brazil. They manly speak Porchagese so Spanish won't be that popular in that part of South America.

• 2 weeks later...

Spanish is a common language being spoken and it is quite mainstreamed into so many parts of our lives all over the world. When I first started learning Spanish years, I found that I could not learn the language without learning the Spanish culture as well. I would find myself going to Spanish restaurants and interacting more with my friends of Spanish descent in order to fully comprehend why the Spanish was so important. We are living in a time where it is mandatory to be at least bilingual in order to be somewhat successful in any career and the Spanish language is the common thread I think. The Spanish language has such a rich history than for me that I cannot help but to keep it in my life.

Spanish is worth learning first and foremost because it is fun! Learning any new language can be exciting, but as an American, I think Spanish is the natural choice for a second language to learn. There are more and more hispanic and latino families settling down in America, and as that population grows the language will become more and more prominent. Knowing a second language gives you a better understanding of the world, and makes you a more attractive candidate for jobs. There are so many benefits to learning Spanish and multiple languages in general.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. If I'd known that I would be living in a region where hispanics make up most of the population (Washington, DC), then I would have taken more Spanish courses during high school and college. I only took the required courses that I needed for graduation, but if I could go back in time, then I would have taken more while they were available. Sadly, now I have to play catch up.  :sad:

Spanish is a beautiful and elegant language, yet simple and easy to learn, which is actually quite a rarity in linguistics. I am interested in both Spanish European and Latin American culture, cinema, literature and music, therefore it's a no-brainer. :)

For more practical reasoning, Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, and can be useful in business and a plethora of other things worldwide.

I really think that in the year 2013, every American school should be bilingual. Meaning that both English and Spanish should be used. There should be a mix of English and Spanish instructors and students should be able to speak in both languages. I didn't figure out that I needed to know Spanish until I moved to DC where a large majority of the population is hispanic and also speak the language.

Now days, a second and even third language is essential, and not only in the business world. Spanish should be one of the languages that you learn as you won't get very far in many Central and South American countries without it. I have even been to parts of the United States where Spanish was the predominant language spoken by almost everyone.

Because next to English it is the second most used language in the world . And if you are planning to travel to another country that speak Spanish it would be an asset. :tongue:

I agree with Robert about the amount of spanish speaking people beeing very significant.

Just like English it is an international language that is worth learning. For traveling purposes and you want to know that you are able to communicate with others who speak Spanish.

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken, Spanish is one of the three most common languages that is spoken in the world. I think that the top three are English, Spanish and Chinese.

If a person has the opportunity, I really think that it would be worth learning all three of those languages because it would make you a person that would be very marketable in the business world.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with dorannmwin here. Having Spanish on your resume will give you a huge advantage over those who don't. Any language will, for that matter, but if you live in the USA Spanish will definitely help a lot. It's also a latin language and knowing at least one will make learning the others easier. I live in Romania and Romanian is also a latin language and I can understand other similar languages, to some degree, without ever having studied them.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that Spanish is a good language to learn and definitely has it's benefits. But I think that there are many other languages more beneficial. I'm currently learning German and Mandarin and for me these languages are more important than Spanish. Spanish is very beneficial if you're doing work in Central/Southern America but unfortunately I'm not.

Yeah I agree with you, Spanish is definitely worth learning, because it's widely spoken, and I live in one of the countries that the Spaniards colonized, so we already use some Spanish words as our main language, and it wouldn't hurt to learn more Spanish words.

• 4 weeks later...

The number of Spanish speakers is also increasing quickly, as is the economic influence of Latin America. I mean, there's no such thing as a "good language" or a "bad language" to learn, but obviously for doing business or traveling in some area it's indispensable, and I think it's likely to become more important for more people in the future

Its a beautiful language. It is one of the first language that I was really attracted to. I love the sound of it and the way the words sound in general. Plus, it is quite a popular language which does come in handy when you're traveling to various places.

Spanish is my mother language, and I must say that even tho isn't my favorite language, I can see it's really useful to know it, mostly because there are so many Spanish speakers out there!  Seriously!  When I was in the Netherlands I often heard people speaking Spanish, even more when I was at the airport trying to go back home.  Learning Spanish is really worth it because it has so much relevance nowadays, I'm sure there might be a lot job opportunities for those who speak Spanish and English. 

So if you are an English speaker and want to learn a language you will actually use, then learning Spanish is the perfect choice for you!

I've just decided to start learning Spanish again as I am thinking of moving to Spain to teach English in September. I learnt Spanish for two years in highschool, and I found the language fairly easy to learn as I already had an intermediate knowledge of French. Spanish is very useful, it's one of the most spoken languages in the world!

The Spanish language is probably the second or third most spoken language in the world. It offers a diversity of possibilities of expression through its wide range of synonyms and/or antonyms for the same word. I love this language and all its complexities. Also it is opening many new doors for me. I can communicate with everyone when I am staying with my partner's family in Latin America, and that is very important to me.

I think that Spanish is most definitely a language worth learning . It is the second most widely spoken language in the world. That alone is a huge benefit to learning Spanish. Also alot of employers require employees whom are able to speak another if not multiple languages. I like to travel and Spanish being so widely spoken will make it easier for me to communicate abroad.