Linguaholic

Why Spanish is a Language worth learning?

I think that Spanish is a language worth learning because there are many Spanish speaking people in the United States.  It is almost just as common as English.  One school district that I worked in had such a large spanish speaking community that half of the school day was taught in English and the other half of the day was in Spanish.  Knowing both languages would also make you more marketable when seeking employment.

Spanish has a lot of accessibility as a language, as well as one of the largest the numbers of native speakers in the world (estimated to be greater than English!). It's practical to know in several nations of the Western hemisphere and some in the Eastern.

I think it's worth learning because I want to be able to read Spanish literature without it being effected by translation. I also want to keep up with my daughter though she considers it to be akin to stalking!

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree that it is a very useful language to learn. The usefulness as a second language is especially true if you live in the USA. It is the second most spoken language and it is a must for most business to be extremely successful, or at least on a large scale.

Actually Spanish is the second most widely spoken language around the world.

Some sources cite it as the third language after English and Chinese but, let's face it. Chinese has millions of speakers who are mostly the same Chinese people and not because it is popular as a second language.

Spanish however, is the main or the second language in many countries around the world, and a must for people living in the USA, where French used to be the second language to lean many decades ago.

In the US Spanish is widely spoken. Spanish is also one of the most widely spoken languages in the World. Especially in terms of the number of countries using it. It is a shame that learning a second language is not promoted more. We have had European exchange students and they do a much better job of promoting language. Most of the students speak three languages.

Yes, most definitely! It's the second most spoken language in the United States, and there are many countries in the Western Hemisphere which speak the language. If you plan to travel to or do business in  those countries, it would definitely help to learn the language.

Today, in learning Spanish, you have many more jobs open to you. Bilinqual is a plus in this society. There are many Spanish speaking people, who have a hard time in learning American English. Some are not applying themselves as they should, but for others who work very hard at it, it's difficult for themat first.

Guest isabbbela

Well, way before English took the position, Spanish was considered the universal language... So many countries have Spanish as their first language, I think after English, Spanish is definitely the most useful language to learn. I know that living in Brazil, which speaks Portuguese in the middle of the rest of the Spanish speaking land, it's very useful to speak Spanish.

It's a wonderful language. It would help me out with so many things. You have better job opportunities and I'd be so excited to be able to communicate when I go on vacations. I travel a lot and love experiencing new things. The majority of places I go are ones where Spanish is spoken. It's so hard to get around and enjoy it when I have to rely on the few random words I've learned in school.  :speechless:

• 2 weeks later...

Older people here told me Spanish was required to be learned way back. It's not mandatory these days but I think it would be fun to learn just to know how much Spanish has influenced our language. I think one of the dialects south of where I am also uses some derivative of Spanish.

I want to learn this language because it will really help me in my job. There was one time that I had a spanish patient who can't speak English. I really had a hard time communicating with him. I have a very limited spanish words and that did not help me at that time. I realized the importance of learning a new language. I should not be satisfied with what I learned, instead I need to strive harder in learning more.

I want to learn this language because it will really help me in my job. There was one time that I had a spanish patient who can't speak English. I really had a hard time communicating with him. I have a very limited spanish words and that did not help me at that time. I realized the importance of learning a new language. I should not be satisfied with what I learned, instead I need to strive harder in learning more.

That's important as well, being able to communicate in a professional setting. I hadn't thought how difficult it must be in hospitals and so on, with patients who don't speak the main language. Most other places there are interpreters at least.

I might live in Florida. Is Spanish used widely in that state? I'm just curious. There's also a chance I might be forced to learn the language haha, if my fiance gets me to live in Colombia. It does sound very interesting and we do share words with Spanish so maybe it would be much easier than say, French.

• 2 weeks later...

Spanish is necessary to better understand history and some culture and arts like poetry. I think it's important because all Latin America is expanding and growing very fast and there lives a lot of people, so in a few years there will be lots of people speaking Spanish in developed countries.

There are so many people, especially in America that speak Spanish. It's one of the languages most widely spoken and it would always be an asset to know this language. A lot of jobs are looking for people who are fluent. Also, if you are fluent and wanted to make some money on the side, you could easily get certified as a translator and do odd jobs every here and there. I have a friend fluent in both English and Spanish and can make a lot of money from doing only a few jobs a month.

Spanish is a language worth learning because it is now widely spoken. This means you can travel to more places and meet more people. They also have a rich culture, with festivals and traditions that are worth learning about. And need I mention their food..

No offense OP, but I don't care about any of the reasons you listed.  What matters to me is that there are a lot of Spanish speakers where I live.  I hear Spanish in the grocery store, on hiking trails, on the radio, and in many social situations.  Knowing Spanish can make those experiences richer.  Also, many of the Spanish speakers in my area don't speak English, or they pretend to understand a lot less than they do, so knowing Spanish helps cross that barrier.

Spanish is an influential language. They had influenced different languages in the world after Spaniards had conquered some countries that they had reach many years ago. In the Unites States, Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language and there are lots of historical letters that were written in Spanish. Learning Spanish really worth our effort because it's one of the languages that is easy to understand, learn and use by many people worldwide.

Aside from it does sound romantic to the ears, Spanish played a huge role in the society especially in history. It would be pretty cool to know a thing or two with that language.