Linguaholic

What does it mean?

deyvion

I was readin a book and came across this phrase: "Get a load of this".

What does it mean? In the conversation in the book it came from a person who was about to reveal how much something cost.

I was readin a book and came across this frase: "Get a load of this".

What does it mean? In the conversation in the book it came from a person who was about to reveal how much something cost.

This is an expression meaning "take a look at this."  The implication is that it is something worth seeing; it is special or it is a spectacle.  So there's an undercurrent of excitement as if to say, "Stop whatever you're doing.  You've got to see this right now!"

It would make perfect sense in the context you're describing as I imagine that cost must have somehow been noteworthy.

The answer above is perfect but if you want some examples then imagine that your bestfriend told you something about another person that was intersesting to them. Then they might use the phrase get a load of this, I have just heard that fred has a party going on, on the 17th of August and we are all invited but the best thing is that there is going to be hot babes there. So something like that.

I like how the original poster spelled it "frase".  LOL.  That frazzled me a little!  Get a load of that!  The "frase" means to pay attention because something interesting is about to be said by the party that wants you to get a load of it.  It means "please absorb this important piece of wildly interesting information".

Thank you all for your answers.

@sayitwell: My phones autocorrection is not always the best as I have it set on several languages. I did not notice the typo - I will get right on it!

Guest chives152

It is a way of showing interest in someone or something. If someone is acting really weird you might say to a friend, "get a load of this guy." It can also be talking about something really confusing or impressive.

I would add that often times this slang phrase is used in the context of gossip or in a way to cast an aspersion on something.

If a woman says this phrase to another female friend about a man sitting in view (who is wearing a bad hair piece or an awful suit coat) it is a request to look, but I doubt it is done out of being impressed or excitement.

I was readin a book and came across this phrase: "Get a load of this".

It prepares the audience that you are going to say something really interesting or important and that the other person has to pay full attention and get full load about this.  It's an emphasis on how important your story is going to be.