Linguaholic

Babbling while Learning

darkchild

How many of you babble while learning a language? Does it sound funny to you or hideous? I noticed while learning a language, some of the words may be similar to my native language and I tend to babble a lot which makes me laugh that there are similarities in many languages.

How often do you babble while learning?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Though your question is a bit vague, OP, I'll try to answer as best as possible...

I babble even when I'm not necessarily "learning".  Sometimes I just need to stretch out my mouth and see what new sounds I can make.  Humans are capable of a lot of different sounds, some that we even forget throughout the course of our lives.  When I get fuddled while speaking Japanese, however, it's not really babble.  I sound more like I'm getting trampled by a horde of hungry businessmen. French, on the other hand, I fumble with words so much that I do sound like a babbling child sometimes. 

While learning language, it is very common for me to continuously repeat words. Sometimes I also say the sentence again and again. This helps me memorize the words and sentences. For people I may look  like babbling like a child, but in fact I am learning language. I always learn new things by reading aloud or speaking loudly.

I sometimes babble when I am not learning ;)  But I also do it when I am learning,  I did it a lot when i was first learning to speak English and then dutch. It helps a lot to know what noises you can make.  You know, check your own limits and so on.