Linguaholic

Language Textbooks

darkchild

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I agree with reverserewind.  I don't teach, but the teachers that I have learned from used everyday objects, as opposed to textbooks, to help us learn.  One used songs; the other used games.  The only time that my French teacher used the textbook was for a game where he would say an object in French and we were to find what page it was on and say the page number in French.

Well I have used them in the past and they are extremely helpful, and I think more so than a lot of people actually realize.  It actually provides a nice framework to use and a map so to speak, that is at least how I use them.  The one thing is, though, is that they are just so expensive.  You would think that with time the price would come down a little bit but that does not seem to be the case here.  Oh well, not much you can do there.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day I did,  the book was a really good aid and the whole lesson was planned based on it.    I didn't used it during the entire class though, because every activity was well planned beforehand.   Back in the day this way of teaching was so innovating, not anymore, I guess.  Very few people out there still focus solely on their textbooks to teach... now you have to actually engage students in active participation :)  That way lessons are more effective and fun.  Those who still focus almost entirely on the book are the kind of teacher you'd want to avoid...

I did use a textbook to help my friend to learn English. However the textbook I used was one to teach his native language. I understood the English, he understood the Spanish. So he had the answers and had to work out the questions while I had the questions and had to work out the answers. The teamwork worked well!

• 2 months later...

What I know about textbooks is that some aren't written by native speakers of the language the students are learning and some basic rules and more complex ones are obfuscated by the author(s) which makes it hard for the students to learn the language. That's why I say they should be used as some sort of "road map". The teacher must know what the students should learn and textbooks will provide that but teacher should provide the material that will be used to teach the students.

I do not teach students, but I do use textbooks to teach myself. First, I use apps like Memrise and Duolingo, and then I use the textbooks to help teach me basic grammar rules. There are a lot of risks to buying some books, though, especially ones that are just made to make a profit. I've found a lot of useful books though, and because the apps I use don't teach grammar very much, these books really help me a lot. Though, I also use things like music and TV to learn other languages too. The best way to learn is probably to combine a textbook with songs, and apps.