Linguaholic

English practice

The only way to become good at something is really to practice it. So it doesn't matter if you are not that fluent now. If you practice everyday, you will nail it soon. Talk to anyone who speaks well regularly and you will see what I'm talking about here.

I'm always up to practice English with anyone who needs it. Just drop me a PM, I'm generally always online anyway so I should be here sooner rather than later.

I'm not a native English speaker, my mother language is Spanish and my second language is English.  I really need to practice my English right now, because I'm studying to apply for a really nice online job that requires me to have a perfect spoken English, sadly I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge.  I'm even starting to doubt my written English isn't that good either, but hopefully I can practice it over here even more.

I have some issues with some prepositions, so hopefully if I make any mistake someone over here will be happy to point it out :)  So seriously, if you see a mistake in this post please let me know!

I'm not a native English speaker, my mother language is Spanish and my second language is English.  I really need to practice my English right now, because I'm studying to apply for a really nice online job that requires me to have a perfect spoken English, sadly I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge.  I'm even starting to doubt my written English isn't that good either, but hopefully I can practice it over here even more.

I have some issues with some prepositions, so hopefully if I make any mistake someone over here will be happy to point it out :)  So seriously, if you see a mistake in this post please let me know!

I can't find any mistake in this text, Trellum. However, your English is better than mine anyway, so I'm not of much help here. The only thing I was wondering about in your text, concerns the following sentence: 'I really need to practice my English right now, because I'm studying to apply for a really nice online job that requires me to have a perfect spoken English, sadly I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge'

I guess after 'sure' you could input an IF or a WHETHER, right? I doubt that it is compulsory, though..it is just slightly elliptic like this :=)

• 2 months later...

Hi. I'm not a native English speaker but I'be been a part of the editorials staff of different school publications. I wrote on this thread not to brag but to be helped myself. I still want to learn more. I want to unlearn the things I thought was correct so if you have corrections, I'd be greatly happy to accept them.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm another native English speaker! If any non-native speakers want to practice having a conversation, just reply to this message! My name is Nick and I am from Baltimore, Maryland, which is in the United States. Where are you from?

me hahahahhah , i am from egypt . and i study english literature and some america literature hahahaha :D , and i am a noob in english :D

• 4 months later...

I'm doing a review on a book. However, I'm not sure about the accuracy of some sentences. So I need proofreading help from fellow members here (particularly native speakers). Colored sentence / word are the ones I'm not sure about.

[1] That said, despite the straightforward and detail-rich prose, I struggle a bit in imagining the battle scenes. They are clear at some point, but fuzzy and chaotic on the next one. (Is there are better way to write this?)

[2]...beast-like guardians which some of them are dragons... (do I use 'which' or 'where'?)

Please & Thank You  :smile:

p/s: I didn't want to create another thread, so I hope it's OK that I asked for help here  :shy:

• 8 months later...

I'm another native English speaker! If any non-native speakers want to practice having a conversation, just reply to this message! My name is Nick and I am from Baltimore, Maryland, which is in the United States. Where are you from?

Hi Mike, thank you for your help in advance,

I'm Mouad 22 yo from Constantine, Algeria, so Please can you tell me more about Baltimore, since I've heard a lot of "bad" thing about it, I've heard that you have a lot of mafia there, is that true ?

• 1 month later...

I can't find any mistake in this text, Trellum. However, your English is better than mine anyway, so I'm not of much help here. The only thing I was wondering about in your text, concerns the following sentence: 'I really need to practice my English right now, because I'm studying to apply for a really nice online job that requires me to have a perfect spoken English, sadly I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge'

I guess after 'sure' you could input an IF or a WHETHER, right? I doubt that it is compulsory, though..it is just slightly elliptic like this :=)

Well, I must said I feel so flattered right now  :shy:  I hadn't seen this reply until now  :shy:  It flatters me you say that  :cry:  Such a skilled linguist as yourself, I feel honored.  I'm sad to report I didn't get the job, but oh well, there will be other good chances sooner or later. And thanks a lot, the addition of ''if'' or whether'' would have improved that sentence a lot!  I need to use those more often and in that way, specially if D:    I need to polish my English.  Thanks for taking the time to bring this to my attention :)

You can start doing your English practice by reading books. Next step is to watch video clips about English and their usage but probably the best solution is to associate yourself with native English speakers and that we should be open to furthering your eEnglish reading and wring skiss for that matter as English speaking.

I'm doing a review on a book. However, I'm not sure about the accuracy of some sentences. So I need proofreading help from fellow members here (particularly native speakers). Colored sentence / word are the ones I'm not sure about.

[1] That said, despite the straightforward and detail-rich prose, I struggle a bit in imagining the battle scenes. They are clear at some point, but fuzzy and chaotic on the next one. (Is there are better way to write this?)

[2]...beast-like guardians which some of them are dragons... (do I use 'which' or 'where'?)

Please & Thank You  :smile:

p/s: I didn't want to create another thread, so I hope it's OK that I asked for help here  :shy:

I'm not sure if this is really still relevant. But this might be better:

[1] That said, despite the straightforward and detail-rich prose, I struggled a bit in imagining the battle scenes. They were clear at some point, but fuzzy and chaotic the next. (Given that the sentence started with "said," I feel like it implied some past tense. And you wouldn't really need the "one" as it would just be repetitive; with the comma, I think it is obvious what it is referring to.)

[2]...beast-like guardians, some of which are dragons... (Notice I added a comma too as the following would be clarification to the original.)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys. Need more help regarding grammars and whatnot. I checked the below paragraph myself (with the help of an online grammar checker, which I know won't be 100% reliable):

Alex always wins in video games, so Josh looks up on the internet on how to beat him. When he did, Alex accuses him of cheating and Josh obviously denies it. They agree on a new game to settle on their bet to declare the best gamer. A mysterious shopkeeper, who also calls himself the Game Master, suggests the virtual reality role-playing game ‘The Game of Life’ to the boys.

Reading books and write reviews about them are my ways to 'motivate' myself to really overcome my weakness in English grammar. Any suggestion on how to make the prose above sounds better / more native is welcome.