Linguaholic

Opinions please!

Hi, everyone! 

Just to (quickly!) introduce myself, my name is Jessica, and I started learning Spanish when I was 12 years old. I've been speaking it for 16 years (I guess you can do the math lol!). I've also spoken Spanish regularly in my most recent job positions (bilingual candidates required). 

And the best part: I was able to speak Spanish comfortably while living in Puebla, Mexico for a year, Madrid, Spain for 3 months, and Santiago, Chile for 2 months! I absolutely love traveling! 

So, I would love your opinion: I'm thinking about starting a website for travelers who want to have confident conversations in Spanish in 30 days or less so that they can make friends with the locals! 

What do you think about this idea?

Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it! 

That would be great.
I made my own blog for Japanese as well, although I'm just lazy at writing as you can see or read.

I think you should totally go for it,  it's a nice labor :)  And in some years you can definitely look back and say: ''Wow, I did that!''.  I think it's great if it helps others, and you learn something new :)  That is why I'd like to create my own Vlog in the future :)  You can learn so much from teaching as well. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you're still looking for opinions, but I also think that's a great idea! I'd actually be incredibly interested in a website like that myself. I don't know if you've decided to do it, or decided against it, but if you do, are going to check back in here and link us to your site?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/28/2016 at 10:49 PM, JMarsh said:

Hi, everyone! 

Just to (quickly!) introduce myself, my name is Jessica, and I started learning Spanish when I was 12 years old. I've been speaking it for 16 years (I guess you can do the math lol!). I've also spoken Spanish regularly in my most recent job positions (bilingual candidates required). 

And the best part: I was able to speak Spanish comfortably while living in Puebla, Mexico for a year, Madrid, Spain for 3 months, and Santiago, Chile for 2 months! I absolutely love traveling! 

So, I would love your opinion: I'm thinking about starting a website for travelers who want to have confident conversations in Spanish in 30 days or less so that they can make friends with the locals! 

What do you think about this idea?

Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it! 

There is a service for Japanese (Or Chinese?) students that want to practice their English, they basically go into Skype conversations with people willing to do it in the USA. This people are usually paid a small fee for their time and they have no shortage of people available. I will venture a guess that you could arrange something similar but for people wanting to learn Spanish, and, as you probably know by now, Latin American are so open a friendly that I am sure that you will find some of them that would do it for free.

You can transform it into a group experience using something like Google Hangouts where people could join and discuss various topics in Spanish so they can practice. If you have the know how and the resources, this could even be a nice business opportunity to tackle.

I think it's a good idea. Often when traveling to a foreign land it's one of the things I usually start to think or worry about because I know that eventually I'll have to communicate with locals one way or another. Of course these days it's much less daunting as you could have access to resources on your phone wherever you go but having them all in one place like a website you can return to can also be very helpful since you can just go there and browse complete details and helpful hints instead of having to collate them on your own. 

• 4 weeks later...

I love this idea. I have been learning very basic basics for a little over a month now and I would love to know more about the ways people actually interact as well - traveling for me is not just about learning a language and using it, local customs and idioms would also me extremely valuable to know.