Linguaholic

Android applications for Spanish learning

Voytek

There are plenty of Android apps to learn one or multiple language(s), but I can't stress enough the importance to use real world content.
Apps are fine for absolute beginners, but once you moved beyond B1 level you should read/listen to the news, product reviews, podcasts, books, comics, etc. in that language while it's NOT a learning material.

The main reason is that language learning apps provide simple, unreal sentences.
This is OK for people who just start learning a language, but a big no-no for people more advanced like that.
And non-learning apps are more commonly available for free too.

I say all of this because people often overestimate this, and seeing how you explained your learning process in another topic, I assume your Spanish is already beyond A2 at the very least.

8 minutes ago, Blaveloper said:

There are plenty of Android apps to learn one or multiple language(s), but I can't stress enough the importance to use real world content.
Apps are fine for absolute beginners, but once you moved beyond B1 level you should read/listen to the news, product reviews, podcasts, books, comics, etc. in that language while it's NOT a learning material.

The main reason is that language learning apps provide simple, unreal sentences.
This is OK for people who just start learning a language, but a big no-no for people more advanced like that.
And non-learning apps are more commonly available for free too.

I say all of this because people often overestimate this, and seeing how you explained your learning process in another topic, I assume your Spanish is already beyond A2 at the very least.

Actually, I`m only at A2 level and I still need to work on basics but your philosophy makes sesne for me fully. I watch `Pocoyo` (animated serial for small children) every day and when I finish this series I`m going to watch `Dora Exploradora` and `Los Simpons`. Any way, do you, or someone else, know any valuable application for Spanish learning for Android?

I know there are more generic apps like Duolingo and Memrise (the latter one is very helpful), but I don't know any specifically for just Spanish.
But you should still use them with caution, apps are never intended to be used as your only study material, they're meant to be used as a learning aid.
<B1 learners should use something much more explanatory as their main material, like textbooks, Italki lessons or what I recently started to use: InnovativeLanguage.

InnovativeLanguage is the company behind SpanishPod101, JapanesePod101, RussianPod101 and a lot more.
Their sites will seem like scam to you at first, but the materials they offer are excellent.

InnovativeLanguage has an Android app too, textbooks could have a digital Play Books version or not (it differs from book to book) and Italki doesn't need an app (Italki lessons are most likely being done on Skype).

@Blaveloper

Dziękuję, kolego! :)

Actually, I`ve started to use SpanishPod101 but after a couple of days I lost motivation to use it because, like you just wrote, it looks like a scum... But I`ll give it a try once again. I`ll definitely try InnovativeLanguage. Thank you once again. :)

What do you think about Lang-8? Have you try it?

I have heard of Lang-8 before, but not quite used it.
However, I gave it a try once and got a correction instantly (it's almost creepy, lol).

But I forgot it existed the next day, I dunno why.

http://phandroid.com/2014/07/09/best-android-apps-for-learning-spanish-japanese-languages/

I just found it! :)

Well @Blaveloper is certainly correct in pointing out the importance of real world experience in the process of learning a new language, but there are certainly some applications that are helpful for quick translations and more in-depth work if you need.  From what I have seen the ones that are more in-depth do cost some money, and even then might be a little risky, at least they seem like it to me.  It is great to think of the time in which we live though and how much easier it is to communicate across language barriers, and this is just another example, and I am sure that it will continue to grow as well.

• 2 months later...

There is an app called Mango Languages, which also has a website on the computer, for those who want to download it. Only thing is, I'm not sure if it's free if you're on your own. What I mean by that is that my local language offers free usage of the app for card holders. I'm pretty sure this applies to a lot more libraries than just us. If you're in the United States, check with your local library to see if they provide the service. If you can't find or don't have a local library that provides it, you may have to purchase it. I'm not 100% sure, because I use it for free.

The way it works is that you pick one of the languages available, and the app begins the lesson with teachign words and sentences in applicable conversational circumstances, like asking where the bathroom it, by breaking down the simulated conversation. They then get more complex and move from conversational situations to actually learning the language, it's grammar, it's structure, and applicable vocab. It also has important cultural tidbits about the words, including formal/informal variations, double meanings, and more. It also includes lessons that are not just English-Foreign Language, the first language being your native one. For example: Spanish-French or so.