Linguaholic

Proofreading

Yoshie

Hey, I wasn't sure where to allocate this post but if it is in the wrong place, please redirect it where appropriate. Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to know if anyone on here does proofreading for English?

I'm not a professional proofreader but I have some experience with writing so I can help as well. Plus, there are some softwares out there that can actually proofread your work. I think that's why proofreading jobs have been very few nowadays... There's far too many softwares that can actually check spelling, grammar and capitalisation mistakes on your work. In a way, it's great because you won't even need help or other people to have your work checked. But on the other hand, it's taken away a lot of jobs for humans as well. 

One tool I know of is Perfect It. This is a great software in combination with MS Word as it fills the gaps left by the word processing software. It can check grammar, capitalisation and even hyphen usage in a writing material.

If you have references in your article, Reference Checker is another great tool. It can check the format of your references and make sure that they're following the rules and guidelines.

I hope this helps!

Sadly we don't have a ''services'' section in this forum :(  But if you really need a place where to post this.... you should look into sites like Fiverr.  You could get your text or article proofread for a good price over there.  Lots options to choose from :)  Check it out! 

Thanks for the responses. I was not necessarily going to post the information to which I'm referring but I had some queries about it to get a better understanding of proofreading itself. For example, if the script has terms like "gonna", "ya" and "wanna", should you change them to standard English? In other words, how would you correct them?

I do a lot of proofreading for my own text and when people ask for my help to correct theirs.  I'm usually consistently accurate by default, but I have a Thesaurus at hand just in cases. Although recently I've been using it quite often mostly because I'm into writing more than ever.

I think a lot of the people on this forum will do proofreading, but you should be sure to pay them for their services. I suggest posting this as a job ad on Craigslist, Fiverr or on Amazon Mturk. That way you will get some excellent services and people will get paid and rated for it! 

On 5/24/2016 at 2:03 AM, Yoshie said:

Thanks for the responses. I was not necessarily going to post the information to which I'm referring but I had some queries about it to get a better understanding of proofreading itself. For example, if the script has terms like "gonna", "ya" and "wanna", should you change them to standard English? In other words, how would you correct them?

I think so far I'm being misunderstood. Put it this way, I'm not looking for  a proofreader, I just need someone to answer my above question. I just thought that since this is a language forum someone with English proofreading experience might be able to give a response to that particular query.