Linguaholic

R in different parts of the word cant get it right

fuzzysig

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but i'll do my best to answer it:

-You do the "rolling" R, when the R is at the very beginning as in "Radio". You also do this when there are two R's as in "Carro".

-You do the "tap" when there is only one R, and it's not in the beginning of the word.

Hopefully i've cleared things up for you.

I asked my friend she said Mexicans do not use the alveolar tap and pronounce it just one way similar to rolling R but shorter

and spain and a lot of other countries have both

heres an example I'm curious about I thought up few words that I cant figure out

regresar has 3 Rs

cuerpo

raro

reaparecer

recordar

is there ever a time where there is more than one R in the word and they are pronounced differently

R in the beginning of the word and tap the next R etc

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2016 at 11:54 AM, fuzzysig said:

I asked my friend she said Mexicans do not use the alveolar tap and pronounce it just one way similar to rolling R but shorter

and spain and a lot of other countries have both

heres an example I'm curious about I thought up few words that I cant figure out

regresar has 3 Rs

cuerpo

raro

reaparecer

recordar

is there ever a time where there is more than one R in the word and they are pronounced differently

R in the beginning of the word and tap the next R etc

I understand your confusion.

The first rule is quite simple: if you see an r, it is the "soft" sound, if you see an "rr" it is the "strong" sound, unless the word starts with an r, in those cases you use the strong sound, if the word ends with the r, you use the "soft" sound.

Raro <-- would be similar to rraro, The thing is, since you always do the strong sound when the R is first you can lose the double r at the beginning. 

Recordar <-- RRecordar the only one that should confuse you is the middle one, let's tackle those:

When the r is in the middle of the sentence it all boils down to what letters surround it:

Between 2 vowels you always use "rr" and do the "srong" sound: arriba, perro

After B, C, D, F, G, P and T, you use the "soft" sound: Brillo, prueba, trueno.

After L, N and S you write a single r but you do the strong sound: Alrededor --> Would be pronunced Alrrededor

For everything else, you do the soft sound, so for example:

Reaparecer  --> First is strong since it is the first letter, the middle one is soft since it is between two vowels and the final one is soft since it is ending the word. 

Recordar --> First is strong, the middle one is soft since it is not located after a L, N or S