Linguaholic

Reading aloud

When I was learning English language, my language instructor told me that reading loud helps you to learn the language in fast pace, reading loud will also help  with the diction. Since then I have been reading loud to improve my language. I read loud all the while listening to what I am reading.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I don't think reading aloud will help with diction. Enunciation always is a problem for most people who are learning a new language which is why it's always better these days to find a language exchange partner online.

Nonetheless I do agree that reading aloud can speed up your learning.

Oh yes, reading aloud is certainly more interactive and realistic and it helps very much in learning a new language.  Of course you need a balance of everything, but this is a good one to add into the mix.  It is great to find a little challenge too, say pick a favorite story, get in the language that you are learning and see where you do.  That will help give the extra little motivation that we all need at some point, at least that is what has worked for me.  Best of luck to you and you readings.

• 4 weeks later...

I enrolled in a special English language class as part of complying with unit requirements for law.  I needed 18 units of English and am 3 units short.  My English language class, Effective Speech, required us to read aloud a certain text from a book that we read.  In my case, I read a certain piece from a non-fiction book.  Of course, I will read only that particular chapter as long as it is 2-3 pages long.  i don't mind reading it aloud as long as my classmates will understand the text.  Personally, I prefer reading the text silently, especially if I read an entire novel.  i also ask my mother to read stories for me before I fall asleep.  Reading aloud is helpful in your early years, but it would also help refresh your memories.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to do this too. I choose a dense text with a lot of fancy words and I read several pages of it out loud while I'm alone in my room. It helps me practice enunciating properly, speaking more slowly, and modulating my voice. My problem is I get tongue-tied all the time, and saliva pools in my mouth more quickly, I feel (sorry, TMI!). If anyone has tricks on how to combat the saliva thing, I'd be much obliged.

I have also practiced reading aloud before and I think it does help a lot especially if you want to test yourself on how well you're doing with speaking a certain language. You can easily determine your weak points and be able to correct them immediately. It's a good way of practicing your speaking skills.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yup he's right. I do this all the time when I was younger. I even record myself to hear if I'm pronouncing words correctly and also If I sound natural of trying hard or if my accent is heavy. It really helps a lot if you're learning any language for that matter.