Linguaholic

Translator Job

If you know more than one language, you can work as a translator. Translation is a good paying job. I know English (foreign language) and Nepali (mother tongue). I have translated articles, books, and journals. I get more from translation compared to writing original. Have you worked as a translator?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Hi! Professional English-Spanish translator here. 

Yes, I've studied a degree in translation and interpreting. I have no strong interpreting skills but I've done many translation jobs since some years ago.

There's something I'd like to add to your post - speaking two languages isn't enough. Any aspiring translator should've very strong writing skills in their mother tongue and they should be able to do a lot of research in order to deliver a high-quality job, as well as not to miss the author's message in the source text. While I've had successful moments in my translator career  - I've also had big failures. Working as a professional translator is about a non-stop learning process that's rewarding eventually.

My fifty cents.

You make an interesting point. You need to become fluent on two languages to become a translator. You can speak two languages does not mean you can do the translation. In order to become a translator, you must have skills to write on both languages. If you can write, you can definitely translate. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have worked as a professional writer and translator. For English to Hindi and English to Spanish.

The only thing which you need to take care about while working as a translator is to always have the correct grammar and understand the context of each sentence and thereafter you would be able to translate quite easily without any issues.

I have never worked as a translator but I'm hearing a lot of positive feedbacks from people who do, especially those who work as freelancers in this kind of gig. I would love to be able to work as a translator too but there seems to be no available translation jobs involving my Filipino mother tongue.

17 hours ago, Linguistic said:

I have worked as a professional writer and translator. For English to Hindi and English to Spanish.

The only thing which you need to take care about while working as a translator is to always have the correct grammar and understand the context of each sentence and thereafter you would be able to translate quite easily without any issues.

I agree with your view. Having skills in the languages is not enough to become a translator, you need to have understanding of the language used in the text. Word to word translation always fail. If you do word to word translation, you will sound more like Google. You need to understand the content. Thus,these days translation is usually referred as transliteration.

I have friends who have worked as translators and I think the best part of their work is that they will almost always have jobs waiting for them because inevitably somewhere out there are people who will want to do business in foreign countries and the more languages you know to bridge those gaps the more valuable you become to more people. I have to admit I was always envious of their skill and ability because even though I know other languages too I don't think it is enough to use in a professional setting.