Linguaholic

Spanish Language Learners

stutin

Hello, I am from India and I was looking for someone to help with Spanish basics. It will be kind of someone to teach me basic Spanish. I want to learn this language so that I can have knowledge about it!

If you live in an area where there are book stores like Barnes N' Nobles, if you go to their learning sections, they have some awesome workbooks on how to learn Spanish. I bought one of them a few years ago, and though it was a bit expensive, I was almost fluent in the language by the end of the textbook. It's great at not only teaching you the basics, but coaching you until you are fluent.

I have had a lot of luck with duolingo.com. It is free and it makes a game out of it, which keeps me motivated. Another way it keeps me coming back is it has high scores, so I can compare my progress with what everyone else is doing.

Of course, I have always been partial to learning via competition, and this method may not work for everyone. But even if you aren't the most competitive person in the world, the community there seems to be very helpful. Let me know how it goes!

I have used Rosetta Stone too, and I would put it on par with that, except that duolingo is free of course.

Guest chives152

I had a lot of good luck with a book that I found online. I learned Spanish in school but I used that book instead of the textbook because it was easier to understand. I would recommend looking for a eBook or even a regular book that you can learn from.

One resource I've just discovered for learning Spanish is http://www.freerice.com

Not only do you earn rice for those in poverty, they have a nice Spanish vocabulary flash card system set up there. They also have German, Italian, French and Latin. I find this slightly more motivational than other vocabulary flash card sites/games, even if the vocabulary can start to get tedious after a bit. The vocabulary is a little bit limited, but they'll probably add more words if more people use that part of the site. At least, I hope so.

• 1 month later...

If you live in an area where there are book stores like Barnes N' Nobles, if you go to their learning sections, they have some awesome workbooks on how to learn Spanish. I bought one of them a few years ago, and though it was a bit expensive, I was almost fluent in the language by the end of the textbook. It's great at not only teaching you the basics, but coaching you until you are fluent.

Wow, I'm curious to know what workbook that is. Most of what I've learned of Spanish comes from taking it in school for several years, but I'm nowhere near fluent. Do you remember what the title of the book was that you used? If you don't, is there anyway you could do a quick search through Amazon and see if any of the Spanish books is the correct one?

Thanks!