Linguaholic

Another cool language-learning resource

BWL

http://www.everydaylanguagelearner.com/

Here's another interesting language learning resource. The blog owner, is raising his son in a bilingual environment and the site has numerous resources on bilingualism, second-language learning, coaching and other interesting stuff.

This concept of learning a language by learning 10 words per day is something I studied at the university (in English lingusistics). I like the concept, however, to cram 10 words just to be forgotten a few days later is not really the way to go. For me, as I am now in a country which language I want to learn, I go by this concept, but not to the full extent. I try to learn at least one new word every day, but what I focus on is listening to the conversations around me, and as I have heard a word or phrase many times, I ask what it means. I have learned mostly from this. Remembering and learning by repetition is in my opinion better than learning a list of 10 random words. At least for me.

This concept of learning a language by learning 10 words per day is something I studied at the university (in English lingusistics). I like the concept, however, to cram 10 words just to be forgotten a few days later is not really the way to go. For me, as I am now in a country which language I want to learn, I go by this concept, but not to the full extent. I try to learn at least one new word every day, but what I focus on is listening to the conversations around me, and as I have heard a word or phrase many times, I ask what it means. I have learned mostly from this. Remembering and learning by repetition is in my opinion better than learning a list of 10 random words. At least for me.

Yes, I agree and I can relate.  Random word lists are more difficult.  What I found much more helpful was to learn words in a context, i.e. to learn several words that might all be used in a particular situation. 

Let's say, for instance if I want to talk about gardening, then I need to know the names of the tools in the other language, as well as the verbs that describe their actions.  Also, I would want to know the names of various plants and flowers.  So learning such words all in a context worked much better for me. 

This link is very cool.  I think it's really useful.  I also like searching for resources like this online.  I have personally found some useful information before.  It was also in a blog like this that I learned about the Pimsleur approach to foreign language learning.

While this resource sounds interesting, it brought to mind something that many of us having told once in life when leaning another language; the word of the day.

According to some language teacher, if you learn a single new word every day, you will soon develop a good vocabulary in the chosen language.

In fact, there are sites like the Free Dictionary that does not only provide with a Word of the Day feature, but also have a widget that webmasters may add to their sites, so their visitors can learn.

But being honest, how may of us does really lean a word a day to improve their vocabulary in a foreign language?

I totally agree with you.  It's the power of context and situation that will make you learn the language fast.  Random words without any context will be easy to forget.  Unlike if the word is relevant to your current situation, it's something that you can easily associate with something else in your brain. 

It all sounds simple, learn ten words a day but like someone above said the words need to be revelant for ME to remember for example were is the doctors or what time does the bus come?.

Yeah, exactly.  That's why, if you notice those tourist books, you would often note that they teach you the local language in a way that would apply to your situation as a tourist.  For example, asking for directions, asking for the price, saying hello, asking about basic things like where to find a good restaurant and things like these.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. I love getting different sources for learning although I prefer this forums more. It's easier to learn with people who are also studying the language you're interested in. And I do like how this forums are gathering people who have different opinions. It's good to have great discussions here.