Linguaholic

Short-cut for Chatting and Texting

Alfonso

I think it's hilarious. I wonder if internet acronyms and abbreviations will spawn a new generation of inept english-speakers. I only ever use them for comedic purposes. Some of the stuff I've read in Youtube comments is just painfully awful.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

It doesnt bother me as long as I can understand it. What bothers me more are the abbreviations that Im not familiar with, if Im getting text with those ones, Im always like "Do you expect me to know what this means?"

I think it's hilarious. I wonder if internet acronyms and abbreviations will spawn a new generation of inept english-speakers. I only ever use them for comedic purposes. Some of the stuff I've read in Youtube comments is just painfully awful.

I agree and I find it very amusing as well. Also, like you, I wonder if acronyms like LOL will be official once the kids of this generation start becoming the leaders. I am not for or against it, but like I said, I find it highly amusing and I look forward to possibly seeing the president we have decades down the line using these terms normally.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly get annoyed as well. That just influences others to deteriorate their grammar and spelling skills. I always disregard the fact that people do that. I try to not mind it, but it's a pet peeve of mine to read those kind of texts actually.

I do my best to ignore it. This world does seem to be a world that tried to simplify things as time goes by, but hopefully they don't practice this method in the future.

• 1 month later...

For me and my friends, it depends. We generally use short-cuts when we like to annoy people, haha. But aside from that, they understand that our using shortcuts usually mean we're in a hurry or we don't have time to text. This usually occurs when we're boarding public transportation, on the way to school, walking on the streets, or situations that can potentially spark an encounter with a thief, haha.

Either way, if chatting in general, I don't like short-cut texts, too. Not that I'm annoyed since I do it myself, but if we have the time to chat, we might as well use it properly by making our messages understandable by placing correct spelling and word-organization.

I don't use short-cuts. First, I am not used to it. I haven't even tried it in my life. Never. Second, I get seriously annoyed whenever I am being sent a message full of short-cuts. It is hard for me to read them. More often than not, I don't get to understand them.

I don't like the shortcuts like w8, I don't know all of them so it would be hard to read a message fast like that.

However I do use shortcuts often, just things like "u" instead of "you." I have a limitation for sms how many characters you can use in one on my phone, and I have prepaid number, so when I need a lot of messages to someone, and don't have the money, this is a good solution.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I totally agree! Now that gesture typing (like on Android phones), speech-to-text, and generally how people are now typing faster (as computers are extremely popular) there isn't any need to take shortcuts. In my opinion it just makes you look slightly stupid and make you stand out a bit too much.

I don't know about you, but I get annoyed when people use short-cuts when chatting and texting. I don't really say anything but I really gets me. They change what to wat, you to u, great to gr8, wait to w8, good morning to G-AM. Knw wat i myn? What do you think about this 21 century trend?

I utterly LOATHE this stuff. The complete and utter lack of any respect for the language is just...ARGH! I have made it clear to folks who know me that when someone texts me then they need to use proper words and grammar...and spell as best they can.  :laugh:

It just irks me that it seems that kids coming up aren't bothering to even learn to spell or write properly anymore. They don't try to talk properly either. They tend to talk in that texting lingo that's all abbreviations. 

I suppose that English, like so many other languages throughout history, will one day follow some of the dead ones into bare remembrance with no one around who speaks it. Looks like the possibility may well have begun.

It doesnt bother me as long as I can understand it. What bothers me more are the abbreviations that Im not familiar with, if Im getting text with those ones, Im always like "Do you expect me to know what this means?"

I dislike this as well, but fortunately, most people who text me at least have the courtesy and say what the acronyms mean the first time around. I am completely lost as to what some of them mean though and I sometimes have to look it up.

Yep. How lazy can one get. Is it really going to take that match time to write you instead of u?

The worst offenders are xxxs using words like 'mah'. People, 'my' is actually a letter shorter than that travesty.

Exactly!  I encounter a lot of people who actually text that way.  They would actually use a wrongly spelled word which actually has more letters compared to the correct one.  I don't know anymore what caused this kind of a trend, but it is not funny at all.  I can imagine how kids these days can get so confused as to what the correct spelling of words are.  I certainly hope that parents don't do these in front of their kids.  Kids have to learn words the right way.

I am annoyed too and it's often hard now to understand what do they really mean especially if they do the whole acronyms thing. Seriously, that gets in my nerves at times. I'm like, just please spell them out.  :cry:

Yes! God I hate those people! Although I don't really say anything to them I just reply with a sensible well spelled and constructed text. I can understand if they're texting you in a hurry using their phone since it's generally hard to type anything fast with today's phone keyboards but those people who still use these short cuts on social media using a full functioning keyboard is beyond me.

Yep. How lazy can one get. Is it really going to take that match time to write you instead of u?

The worst offenders are xxxs using words like 'mah'. People, 'my' is actually a letter shorter than that travesty.

I feel you on this one. At first it didn't bother me. But then again, I thought what ever happened to the right words our forefathers created for communication. I sometimes want to blame the rap community. Haha

Before I came to understand all about these shortcuts which I never tried using until today, I used to correct people because I thought they simply didn't know how to spell "great" so they made up "gr8" to make the sounds and so I understood what they were trying to say.

I had been trying to correct them without knowing that I had been the one who was being stupid :D because then I got corrected back :D

Now that I have autocorrect on my phone it just seems pointless to make myself look dumber by using shortcuts. I never used them, even when I didn't have autocorrect. I can understand how they can be useful but why not just include the extra two letters and make your message look better and more understandable?

Yes but sometimes autocorrect can really bring out the worst on my messages. Haha It's funny! I had to disable that on my phone.