Linguaholic

How hard is traditional chinese?

arizona

Are you talking about traditional Characters or about Classical Chinese (文言). If you are talking about the latter, I am willing to share some info about it. Tomorrow will be my first 文言 lesson at university ! I am super excited as I love the professor who is teaching 文言。He just literally knows everything about China and Chinese, I am sure I will learn all sorts of interesting things about 文言!

• 1 month later...

By the way, how was your 文言 class? Did you find it interesting?

I believe Ancient Chinese had a very different grammar from modern Chinese dialects. Did you find the texts easy to understand?

• 3 weeks later...

Its actually not that much harder, the grammer and everything is the same but the characters are different most of them are just more strokes than your usual simplified characters and have a few more strokes but other than that the two are basically alike on most terms

By the way, how was your 文言 class? Did you find it interesting?

I believe Ancient Chinese had a very different grammar from modern Chinese dialects. Did you find the texts easy to understand?

Thanks for asking. I am absolutely in love with 文言。My teacher is incredible and we learn so much during class. Classical Chinese is very different from standard Chinese as it is spoken/written today, that is correct. As you mentioned, the grammar is very different and also in ancient times, the Chinese language was not tonal yet.

What I like most about the study of Classical Chinese is the fact that I am learning a lot about the history of Chinese characters and where they come from.

The difference between traditional and simplified characters is basically in the number of strokes per character. There is no other difference in pronunciation, grammar or sentence structure. A person who is comfortable with reading and writing in simplified characters will not have any problems with learning traditional characters and vice versa so long as he or she is sufficiently well-versed.