Linguaholic

i want to improve my sanskrit

arizona

http://www.learnsanskrit.org/

This is the only site I've heard of and a friend of mine told me he occasionally used it for preparation during board exams.

Sadly, in spite of getting 99/100 in my Sanskrit board exam I have forgotten all about it now. So, I doubt I personally would be of any help to someone interested in learning.

Let me start off by admitting that I was not that good in Sanskrit in school. I scored good marks, but it always went over my head. I could never understand why the emphasized so much on learning it. Nobody uses this language anymore.

If you want to hone in on Sanskrit, you should visit http:// learnsanskritonline.com/‎

Wow that's something unique you are going to start with, let me let you that my grandpa has gained glory of success in Sanskrit. However, in my opinion I don't think it is worth learning now as the influence of Sanskrit is slowly fading away, rather you work on other languages.

Still if you don't want to move on, I would suggest you to start by taking help of school books and internet.

I'm curious why Sanskrit is still taught in Indian schools. While it does still have a very strong influence on Indian culture, Sanskrit as a spoken language is extinct. Most Europeans do not learn Latin or Ancient Greek anymore, and having a distinction in Sanskrit language studies will not guarantee a high-paying job.

I'm curious why Sanskrit is still taught in Indian schools. While it does still have a very strong influence on Indian culture, Sanskrit as a spoken language is extinct. Most Europeans do not learn Latin or Ancient Greek anymore, and having a distinction in Sanskrit language studies will not guarantee a high-paying job.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Sanskrit is used for a lot of Hindu relegious cermonies. It's also (I think) what most Hindu scriptures  were written in, I know it can be translated but I guess it doesn't give the same meaning. I'm not sure about Europe but here in the United States some schools still do have an option to take Latin.

Its more of a tradition thing. A way of getting close to your roots or something. I personally never saw a point to it.

Incidentally, there is a village in India where only sanskrit is used, for speaking or otherwise.

I heard about that village in the news, but can't remember the name of it. I wonder if they are civilized at all.

I heard about that village in the news, but can't remember the name of it. I wonder if they are civilized at all.

Well they are speaking in Sanskrit. Technically, they are more civilized than us Hindi speakers.  :tongue:

Turns out there are two such villages.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/history-and-culture/tale-of-two-villages/article4581221.ece

I think the other one is called Jhiri.

I daily read DURGA SAPTASHADI a hymn devoted to Goddess Durga in 700 Shlokas  with translation in Indian vernacular language in just below under each shloka. Though I have not become a Saskrit pundit I am able to make out the basic rules.

Frankly, though I am myself Brahman I do not think Sanskrit can become a language of layman.

The world has gone too far in other fields. Even for the Hindi, there are no textbooks for higher education in Hindi so Sanskrit has no chance of making  a big way.

Anyway I appreciate your love for language. Sanskrit of mother of all the North Indian language.