Linguaholic

Language through cooking

Milanina

When reading recipes, I've come to realise that with a translation into a different language often follows even adjustment of taste and of ingredients. I've found that Italian recipes in English sometimes contain additional ingredients that an Italian would never add to the same dish (and might even be offended by the combination) or techniques modified in a French plate.

I don't know why it took me so long, but I've converted fully within the past year. When searching for recipes I always try to search in the language of the country (provided they are European with a Latin alphabet) - first I read it in French/Italian/Spanish/Etc and then check briefly in Google translate to see that I understood the directions well enough to proceed. 

Not only do I brush up on my languages, but I immerse myself a little in the local culture and enjoy a meal as a result. 

Which languages do you read recipes in? Has anyone else found creative ways to incorporate language learning into the daily life?

That is really a cool way to learn a language.

I think whatever you have passion for, if you merge it with the target language, it could just be as exciting as life itself.

Thanks for sharing!

I only read recipes in English, but I think that's a really neat way of enhancing your language skills, especially if you're some sort of a foodie and enjoy cooking. I agree with darkchild, finding something you really enjoy through which you can build your learning process could actually spur you on to keep learning more. However, I would steer clear of Google translate, because in as much as it can be decent, there's been countless times when it's led me down the wrong path completely LOL

I hadn't thought of recipe's changing so much when a language change.  I think I'll try that too with Korean, because most of the recipe books I've picked up will have strange ingredients like milk and butter. I know this is true with Indian food, most of the English translated recipes have sugar, dairy, and other European ingredients.   I think it's normal for cooks to change up a recipe to make it their own and to fit what can be found in their country.  I also think it could be a really fun exercise to translate a recipe and then cook it.

Lingua Franca: indeed it is limited if intended as a method to learn the language. Instead, I see it as a supplement and an integration of the language in an everyday setting. I think if you have a basic command of the language, and join for example a cooking course abroad you might get a good boost in both your language and cooking skills. 

Rooks57: the milk/cream/butter issue sometimes affects even European recipes. There are so many Italian pasta sauces that in Italy are made only with a few ingredients that abroad include (unnecessarily) diary products.

I've never thought to do that. This seems like a really fun and exciting way to help yourself to learn a new language. Any tip and trick that you can use will greatly benefit you and the rate at which you become fluent in your chosen language. I will certainly try this out for myself. I have taken up baking lately and this should be a fun little exercise for me to translate the recipe and then make it. 

Hi @Milanina! :) I have never really thought about it but now that you've mentioned it, I really think it's a brilliant idea. It's like hitting two birds at the same time, you're learning a country's way of cooking while at the same time learning its native language. It's really a wonderful idea.

That's a great way of learning more words. I think reading recipes in their native language or at least finding recipes that are authentic can definitely be useful when it comes to learning languages as well as about the culture of a place. I'm thinking about getting a few recipe books in different languages myself, actually. I'll definitely have to try it out and see how much I can understand.