Linguaholic

Foreign Name for Child/Pet

darkchild

Have you ever or are you planning to name a child or pet of yours a foreign name that is not in English or your language because it has a cool meaning attached to it?

It is something I would do; considering the meaning is worthwhile.

What is your opinion?

I really have no problem with this at all. There are so many gorgeous foreign names out there with lovely meanings that I wouldn't hesitate to pinch for my future kids LOL But I know some people here frown down upon that, because they have it in their heads that all kids should have traditional names, which I really don't like. The names here are common, as in it's the same names that keep being recycled and I'd rather have unique names for my kids. Plus the names here aren't easy for foreigners to pronounce, so I'd be looking for names that are universally easy to pronounce so that when my kids travel the world people are able to say their names with ease.

I've also observed that in some instances, your name can play a role in blocking you getting opportunities. Right or wrong, if you have a typical Setswana name that's a right mouthful to pronounce, it can work against you. It may be hard to believe, but I lived it in the UK. And although I'm proud of my Setswana name, I found things became a lot easier for me when I started using my middle (English) name. You just do what you gotta do to survive in this weird old world, I guess.

My parents named me in a foreign language and I have to tell you, it's quite odd to have a name in one language and a surname in another language. It just doesn't 'sound' right. I have now changed my first name to the English version just so that I don't always have to spend the first ten minutes after meeting someone trying to explain the proper way of pronouncing my name. 

I do think it's a great idea to name a child or a pet foreign names which could really fit them well. I even know some parents who named their children after some of the elements in the periodic table. So as long as the name you want to give your child or pet fits and has a certain significance for you, then I see nothing wrong with it at all. :)

I like the idea of using names that aren't English, personally. I actually have a dog called Carlos, for example. I'm not Spanish, but speak it, and he knows commands in English and Spanish too. I also call him Charlie sometimes, so I suppose he sort of has two names. An English and a Spanish one. 

As for names for people, I love the name Francesca, and I'd definitely use that for a girl, even though it's not an English name. I don't think anyone would have any real issues pronouncing it. I probably wouldn't go for a really rare name in another language though unless the meaning was exactly right and I thought it would be very easy to pronounce. 

I think it all comes down to personal taste and opinion. When naming our daughter, we were considering a name which goes well at home and abroad, which is easy to pronounce/spell/yell at the park and has a meaning/connection to our family. 

I've always lamented over my name being difficult to spell / pronounce abroad and wanted to spear my own kids the trouble:)

My dog is named Kimchi, we got him in South Korea when we were living over there.  I have no idea why we called him that when he was a puppy but that is what we decided.  If you don't know what kimchi is it is a spicy fermented aged cabbage/ sometimes other vegetables.  I always joke yes this is my dog kimchi and he is spoiled rotten. haha

I tend to focus on the meaning of a name over whether or not it's in English.  Most of my favorite names are not in English.  I usually end up naming my pet fish fun pretty names like Kamala and Kairavini.  Though lately I've been really into foreign last names for first names for my future pet cat or dog.  It's really about finding a name that fits the personality of your pet.  While I don't have kids yet, I don't mind the idea of naming my kids a foreign name.