Linguaholic

Self Learning

caparica007

Most of the languages I have studied I did it alone at home with my books and tapes. I think it is a good method up to a point when you really need to start talking with other people or else you cannot progress.

Are you a self-learner or are you at a school?

I've had English classes in high school, it is mandatory. But I've learnt much more just by using the internet and watching films and tv. However, I've really started learning it, not just words and grammar, but also speaking, when I moved to the UK. There's a lot of things you take for granted in your native language, just small ways of saying something, that you can't learn unless you actively use the language.

I would have to put myself in the self learning bracket, at school we had a choice between french or german and l chose french, I never really got into it at school it was only when my children started learning spanish at school that l became intrested in spanish.  My children are not fluent in spanish yet but they are getting there :wink:

All the languages I have intended to learn have mostly been started with self-teaching. The only language I went to school for was Spanish, and that is even though my mother is Spanish. The problem there was that as a Native speaker of Spanish, with better fluency and vocabulary of Swedish, my mother could not always tell me WHY something was said as it was, which is what I always want to know. English, even though English being a mandatory schoolsubject, I mostly learned at home from TV and reading. When it comes to Turkish I am all on my own - except from the help I get from my boyfriend and his/my friends.

Most of the languages I have studied I did it alone at home with my books and tapes. I think it is a good method up to a point when you really need to start talking with other people or else you cannot progress.

Are you a self-learner or are you at a school?

I think it should be a combination of both self-learning and school.  Practice is very important.  You really have to converse with someone else in order for your learning to stick.  You may not be able to do this at home, if you study alone.  Some interaction with others in school would be very useful.

When it comes to learning languages I agree that self learning always does help a lot. However, I believe certain nuances which are unique to that particular language can only be taught and cannot be learnt. Hence, a foundation in school does facilitate in learning a language.

I've had English classes in high school, it is mandatory. But I've learnt much more just by using the internet and watching films and tv. However, I've really started learning it, not just words and grammar, but also speaking, when I moved to the UK. There's a lot of things you take for granted in your native language, just small ways of saying something, that you can't learn unless you actively use the language.

I totally agree with you.  Practice is indeed the key.  No matter how much you read and memorize things, if you are not really able to actually converse using that language, you won't learn it. 

I notice that even with the English language which is my second language.  I learned that in school since I was young, but when I had to live in a place where I had to purely use English in communication, I noticed that my English got better.

English is my second language. I started learning since I was young. The other language, I started learning on my own. I started learning through internet. Then I have few people who are helping me practice it. Teaching and guiding me. I also attended few units in school.

I totally agree with this quote. It's not enough to learn a foreign language in school. You need to be placed in an environment where you are forced to use the language. You might learn some concepts in a class, but those won't stick with you unless you practice it.

I would have to put myself in the self learning bracket, at school we had a choice between french or german and l chose french, I never really got into it at school it was only when my children started learning spanish at school that l became intrested in spanish.  My children are not fluent in spanish yet but they are getting there :wink:

So are you currently learning Spanish on your own or are your kids teaching you?  :tongue:

Guest chives152

I really enjoy learning on my own over learning through school because I can move at my own pace. I learned Spanish in school and I was always ahead of what the teacher was teaching beacause I would read and learn ahead on my own.

I do like learning in school a little because it is more motivating and I lack the will to learn on my own with my free time. If I had to do Spanish on my own and I didn't have a grade I would of been less motivated to actually learn it.

I really enjoy learning on my own over learning through school because I can move at my own pace. I learned Spanish in school and I was always ahead of what the teacher was teaching beacause I would read and learn ahead on my own.

I do like learning in school a little because it is more motivating and I lack the will to learn on my own with my free time. If I had to do Spanish on my own and I didn't have a grade I would of been less motivated to actually learn it.

I totally agree with this 100%.

I always like being alone when doing things, especially learning a new languages. You don't have the distractions of a classroom and can learn at your own pace.

I think it all rely upon your interest. Apart from Hindi, English and a bit of french I have learnt "Punjabi" which is among very famous languages spoken in India.

I learned the basic of it in just three days, all I was left with the improvement which for sure I did along time passed and guess what. I topped the school also scored high marks in "Punjabi" among those students.

That is very true thekernel and ashishkashyap25, if you are self-learning you need to have big motivation and self-discipline or else you will not progress. The learning environment of a classroom is or course easier, but this brings much higher costs, if you can afford it great if not self-study is a very valid option.

I must learn at a school. The reason is, I just can't motivated to learn by myself. If I try to learn by myself, I make up excuses and take too many breaks. By having a teacher, it is just so much better. Besides, If I need help with something, I wouldn't be able to help myself.

All of the languages that I know I studied on my own. By this I mean that I did not have a real teacher at any time. But you still need lots of help from native speakers and in that way you never learn completely on your own. When I was learning Chinese I used to participate in a lot of language exchanges. The people I talked to were not my teachers, but they still taught me a great deal.

I think it varies for people. Some people are more proficient than others when studying by themselves. Some people need more of a "study" environment to help them focus because when they are alone, they tend to do their own stuff.

For myself, I prefer to learn by myself. I can go at my own pace. Faster...slower...

English is pretty much used here as a second language so it was more imposed of society. As for other languages, I'm having problems thinking of a way to effectively learn one by myself. Do any of you guys use a structure for which you learn new languages in?

• 8 months later...

I am also a self learner. I use whatever sources are available plus my daughter is always there to point out my errors and encourage me. It does take more time because I don't have a regimen but I know i'll get there somehow.

Right now I'm a self-learner when it comes to teaching myself some new language. I am in cost cutting too so it makes sense. I just use a lot of resources online!