Linguaholic

New Nintendo 3DS Game: BlockForm

宇崎ちゃん

For those of you who have a New Nintendo 3DS and live in Europe, Russia, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand, I will publish the second video game I have developed (first game I made all myself, first game I made for a Nintendo handheld) on the 25th of August 2016 for only € 4.99!

The game is simple, yet unique:

• You will need to collect all coins in each level to complete them.
  • Every platform has a certain colour, each colour affects the player in some way (walk slower, run faster, jump higher, etc.).

This game will be available for New Nintendo 3DS only, and only in the Nintendo eShop.
An American release is still pending approval at the moment of typing.

KTR_N_CBFP_BlockForm_OnlineScreenshot1_A KTR_N_CBFP_BlockForm_OnlineScreenshot2_A KTR_N_CBFP_BlockForm_OnlineScreenshot3_A KTR_N_CBFP_BlockForm_OnlineScreenshot4_A

Uh... how does this relate to language learning? 

It looks pretty cool, what code did you use to code the game?

Anyways, those picture look really nice. It reminds me of Super Mario 3D World or something :)

Unfortunately I don't have a 3DS, but I'd love to see some actual video gameplay of this :D 

7 hours ago, m1chael said:

Uh... how does this relate to language learning? 

It looks pretty cool, what code did you use to code the game?

Anyways, those picture look really nice. It reminds me of Super Mario 3D World or something :)

Unfortunately I don't have a 3DS, but I'd love to see some actual video gameplay of this :D 

It's as relevant to language learning as this topic is really.
I'm using C# inside Unity for New 3DS, it does work on a regular 3DS too, but it's very laggy (and therefore unplayable at a number of points).
That's the reason why I decided to make it for New 3DS only.

I don't have a full capture unit for New 3DS, so it'll be difficult to make some video gameplay right now.
I do have a video somewhere made with my mobile phone though.

• 4 weeks later...

What's with the weird region thing? I assume it has to do with Nintendo and not you, since I am guessing you would prefer a wider release.

Where can I find some game footage? It is possible to download a demo? Do you use the stylus? The accelerometers? 

@fcuco

What do you mean exactly by "region"?
It was mistakenly only released in Europe and Australia due to a miscommunication with Nintendo of America.
I'll make sure it'll be released in America after I get back home.

Game footage: you can find some on YouTube, I highly recommend this one, since it represents the final version:

No, there is no demo of this game.
I did demo the prototypes on game events in the Netherlands before however.

No, stylus is not needed.
The only touch controls exist in the menu.

Accelerometre is not used.

This is a very cool concept, if only a level editor could be developed, I imagine a lot of people coming up with amazing puzzle like levels using the different blocks, or very fast paced ones using a combination of those red floors with the yellow ones.

I loved the music too.

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos for developing a videogame. The platform altering speed is truly an interesting concept, you can play with the character's built up momentum and create several kinds of puzzle like challenges to the players.

On 2.8.2016 at 6:14 PM, Blaveloper said:

It's as relevant to language learning as this topic is really.
I'm using C# inside Unity for New 3DS, it does work on a regular 3DS too, but it's very laggy (and therefore unplayable at a number of points).
That's the reason why I decided to make it for New 3DS only.

I don't have a full capture unit for New 3DS, so it'll be difficult to make some video gameplay right now.
I do have a video somewhere made with my mobile phone though.

hehe. yea. My post about my game is also not very relevant as far as Language Learning goes. However, I guess it is ok to post a non-relevant topic from time to time. I am at 1600 posts now, and 1585 have been relevant, so that's ok :=) same holds true for blaveloper as well, so no problem :=)

The game itself was made in 1 month.
Then I had to wait a whole year for Unity to be accepted by Nintendo for master submission, so I have refined the graphics and level design a bit while waiting.

Yes, they planned a launch in March.
And that's all I know about it too, really.

So is it supposed to be a language learning thing like a computer language?  If so that is pretty cool.  If it is meant to just be something for people from all around to talk about, that is pretty cool too.  I would like to be able to do something like this, make my own game, but I really do not know the first thing about it.  It is very interesting though, and keep up the good work.

As I've said before, it has nothing to do with language learning.