Jump to content
Linguaholic

What language learning techniques/tools would you suggest that are not internet based?


Recommended Posts

Just curious what tools you use that are not internet based, I have a hard time learning language using the computer.  Any suggestions?  I am wanting to learn Spanish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know that this is really a tool, but I'll often look at the ingredients list on products in different languages so that I'm able to pick up a few words that way. Sometimes tourist information centers also have information in multiple different languages. I'll also read books in the language I'm learning too. Alongside the English version if possible. That way I'm able to get a feel for what it should say and then I can read it in English and make sure I understood it correctly. If you're willing to use the computer to look up movies or TV shows in your chosen language you could sit and watch that on somewhere like Youtube too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The use of TV, comics, online news, radio, songs and whatnot all serve as awesome learning tools, but don't use those during your core study time, use those to fill up your non-learning hours instead.
As for your learning hours, use a textbook and plan Skype sessions with real online teachers from Italki (yes that's internet-based, but it's still 1000 times better than offline classrooms).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that one of the best ways to learning a language is to listen and get familiar with different people talking that language, it's more easy to understand that way, or at least it was for me. You can try to start watching Spanish movies with English subtitles, trying to read short stories or simple books with a bilingual dictionary close to you, the sky is the limit! But if you can, try to get more familiar with your computer, the Internet can be a really useful tool when it comes to learning a language. There's a lot of free Spanish classes on YouTube, you should give it a try. 

Good luck! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What works for you? Some people are very visual, some people are very into auditory sensations, some people learn better when music is involved. For instance I learn better while I am listening to something while doing some mindless activity like walking or working out.

My suggestion to you is to try audio lessons in Spanish, I am sure that there are podcasts and such, find one of those, downloaded them into an iPod or any portable music device and listen to the lesson while doing something else, cooking, doing the dishes, while driving, and so on. This are chores that you have to do anyway so you may as well do something more productive with the time that it takes to do them.



 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the most effective way is different for everyone so you may just have to try everything you find and find one that works for you. I personally found that the easiest way for me to learn is just by getting a teacher that will really pressure me into learning as well as explaining each and every little detail that I have to learn. There may be a little extra help gained by reading comic books or watching movies with subtitles but for me the bulk of my learning really came from having a teacher. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best and the quickest way to learn foreign language is to go to a country where that is a native language. Then, you will be surrounded by that language, hearing it all the time. I have some friends, who learn totally unknown language very quickly, only because they lived in foreign countries with native speakers. My good friend learned Spanish, because he lived two years in Argentina. At the moment of arriving, he had a zero knowledge, and I think, he did not even know one word. Beside this, another good option is to go to school for foreign languages. With professors and other students, you will have a chance to learn whatever you want. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Baburra said:

I think the most effective way is different for everyone so you may just have to try everything you find and find one that works for you. I personally found that the easiest way for me to learn is just by getting a teacher that will really pressure me into learning as well as explaining each and every little detail that I have to learn. There may be a little extra help gained by reading comic books or watching movies with subtitles but for me the bulk of my learning really came from having a teacher. 

I have to agree with you, it varies from person to person, for sure! And I too have always favoured the traditional classroom setup. I find that in as much as I'm very keen and want to learn, I appreciate having a teacher who comes down hard on me and cracks the whip LOL I think with the advancement of modern technology, things have certainly got a lot better for foreign language learners because it means I can supplement what I learn in the classroom with various and free online resources. I honestly can't wait to be able to go back to learning some more French and Italian to see if this method will help expedite and enhance my learning process :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

After studying English in school and college for many years, I found that my language is still stilted. That was  because I was taught English by locals (non-natives). Thus, I went to British Council to learn English better. It when internet was not popular. Some of the techniques that helped me are reading loud, speaking before the mirror, recording as you speak and listening to your own voice, listening to audio books etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just find the club of native speakers in your local area and befriend them. Getting directly immersed in their language and ask them to explain the words you do not understand. It's easier, it's free and more than that, you get to meet new people and see new places, which is the ultimate goal of learning a foreign language.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some offline tools I've used are flashcards, comic books, dictionary, videos, TV shows and books. I used these tools alongside internet lessons. Spanish learners are a lucky bunch, there are tons of Spanish learning materials on the internet compared to other languages. At least, that was my experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I do not really like sharing my secrets, but since this is a great community, then I will just go ahead and share some tips. Well, first off, never pay for a course of any kind, courses are like school and I know you do not like going to school so it is going to be the same feeling, you will get bored, annoyed by the teachers, you will get tired and that's not really the way a person can get to learn something properly. For the second tip, we have PRACTICE, yes, practice is what's going to take you to the highest hill, but if you never practice, then you're not evolving and your learning process is going to be slow as a turtle and I am pretty sure you don't want that to happen. Most people say they do not have anything or anybody to practice with and that's a total lie, it's 100% confirmed by me that you can practice with absolutely anything and at anytime, excuses such as "I do not have time" "I do not have anybody to talk with" "I need to pay a course to get motivated" do not make any sense at all, if you really want something you can jump the tallest wall to get it, that's for sure.

Good Luck and Happy Learning!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tripeo said:

Well, I do not really like sharing my secrets, but since this is a great community, then I will just go ahead and share some tips. Well, first off, never pay for a course of any kind, courses are like school and I know you do not like going to school so it is going to be the same feeling, you will get bored, annoyed by the teachers, you will get tired and that's not really the way a person can get to learn something properly. For the second tip, we have PRACTICE, yes, practice is what's going to take you to the highest hill, but if you never practice, then you're not evolving and your learning process is going to be slow as a turtle and I am pretty sure you don't want that to happen. Most people say they do not have anything or anybody to practice with and that's a total lie, it's 100% confirmed by me that you can practice with absolutely anything and at anytime, excuses such as "I do not have time" "I do not have anybody to talk with" "I need to pay a course to get motivated" do not make any sense at all, if you really want something you can jump the tallest wall to get it, that's for sure.

Good Luck and Happy Learning!

Well said, although I would rather talk to anyone than to anything.
Unlike an actual human being, an object can't correct your mistakes. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @Baburra. There are different techniques of learning a language but how effective they are differs from each individual. Aside from formal classroom learning, I found that the most effective informal learning for me is by watching shows or films on the language I am studying that have English subtitles in them. My repetitive exposure on how native speakers speak and pronounce their words through films and shows is helping me learn the basic communication skills in that language. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/8/2016 at 1:37 AM, Blaveloper said:

Well said, although I would rather talk to anyone than to anything.
Unlike an actual human being, an object can't correct your mistakes. :P

It's acceptable, but both ways could work for you in any ways, it's just about practicing, it doesn't really matter who or what you do it with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't quite understand your question. Online content is pretty much the offline one but shared through internet: comics, TV, flashcards, books, music, etc. Internet is just a channel to share stuff, not a thing by itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...
The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...