Linguaholic

Duolinguo

Beverly

I am not sure if any of you guys have tried this website but this is what I am using to learn German. There's not a lot of languages you can learn from that site yet but this is the site I am really enjoying. I think it's done very well because they get you to do the assignments and actually repeat a lot of words you have learnt as well.

You also have to translate sentences or paragraph or a whole story with other users to get to the next level if I am not mistaken,I've been slacking with my German but I am at lvl 12 in that site which is still halfway to go. If you are interested in German, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian,you can give this site a shot. You can start with choosing your path whether you want to start as basic or put in placement for advanced 'class'.

Have fun learning.

I'm currently learning other language too. I'm using different sites. There are many sites available in the net for free. We just need to find the one that suit us better. I didn't not know this site. Maybe later I can check it too.

I am not sure if any of you guys have tried this website but this is what I am using to learn German. There's not a lot of languages you can learn from that site yet but this is the site I am really enjoying. I think it's done very well because they get you to do the assignments and actually repeat a lot of words you have learnt as well.

You also have to translate sentences or paragraph or a whole story with other users to get to the next level if I am not mistaken,I've been slacking with my German but I am at lvl 12 in that site which is still halfway to go. If you are interested in German, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian,you can give this site a shot. You can start with choosing your path whether you want to start as basic or put in placement for advanced 'class'.

Have fun learning.

I have found out about duolingo sometime ago while doing my freelance writing. I want to be able to use this site as soon as I get my scheduling straightened out. It sounds like a very good site to learn new languages; and any person who have talked about this site has given it great reviews.

Is it entirely autonomous? You mentioned assignments being given. I don't know how well I would do if I weren't able set my own learning pace.

Oh you set your own learning pace. You can even review your previous lessons. You can retake the assignments over and over and over. So it's really a fun learning experience for me. I used to do it everyday but I've been slacking. I need to get right back on it.

I've never heard about it before but Duolinguo sounds interesting. I'm always happy to learn of resources for learning new languages so, thanks for sharing! I'd like to know before I sign up, is it free to use?

yes, it is entirely free. If you browse the forum for "duolingo", you will find several other threads talking about that really cool homepage. You should give it a go. Please note while using the search form on linguaholic.com, you would first need to get back to the main forum page and then click on search, if not, not all search results will appear.

A lot of places just make you log in through your facebook or google to make it convenient for you to log in but I don't think they spam your friends or facebook. That being said, I am not entirely sure since I always just ignore the log in through my social media instead,I just register using my email address. I ONLY got email from that site when someone corrected me and I think you can even set it up that you never receive email from the site at all.

• 1 month later...

If you're looking for a great language learning app, DuoLingo is awesome! I have just started using it, based on the recommendation by my cousin. It also has the option of becoming one of their contributors, as it is still a developing program. Right now it offers several languages learned from an English perspective, and vice versa. I'm really hoping that eventually, we will be able to learn Spanish from French, for example. The app involves reading, writing, speaking, and listening in a great functional manner. And...it's FREE. Language learners should all check it out!

I have tried out Duolinguo, but I did not find it useful to my needs. It was inefficient in teaching me all that I wanted to know. A better option would be to take a course IRL, or find another website - babble or memrise.

I haven't heard about Duolinguo before, which is now a good option for me to learn a new language in the future. I will have to check out the site to see if I like it or not. I can't seem to find any good site to learn new languages, which is why Duolinguo will be a good choice there. Thank you for the recommendation! Cheers!

I love Duolingo! My cousin showed it to me a few weeks ago, and I've really been enjoying it AND learning a ton! I took Spanish in high school, and have begun learning French since moving to France in 2011. Since learning more French, my Spanish has suffered, so I'm doing both of these languages on the app. Very easy to use, and let's you decide when and where you have time to learn. I love it!