Linguaholic

Motivation

lecanard7

How do you keep motivated when you are learning a language? I was using a site that emailed me every day for about a week when I stopped studying, but if I didn't check my emails I forgot about it. Even if I did see them I wouldn't always go study right away and then I would forget about it. I was supposed to study for about 5-10 minutes a day and that really isn't too much, but I would often forget about it until late in the evening. I would plan to do it the next day but somehow it would never get done. My husband is studying French too and we tried to remind each other but it still got to easy to forget to remind each other.  

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

For me I just put up pictures and phrases on my wall so I keep remembering why I want to learn the language which is to someday travel to that country and be able to use it without exerting too much effort and actually being able to enjoy myself much more than I normally would without it because I could speak to the locals with a bit more ease. I wouldn't have to worry too much about looking up translations or having to speak in English hoping that the other person will know the language too. 

12 minutes ago, Baburra said:

For me I just put up pictures and phrases on my wall so I keep remembering why I want to learn the language which is to someday travel to that country and be able to use it without exerting too much effort and actually being able to enjoy myself much more than I normally would without it because I could speak to the locals with a bit more ease. I wouldn't have to worry too much about looking up translations or having to speak in English hoping that the other person will know the language too. 

A friend of mine also does this whenever she's trying to learn a language and it seems to work well for her. She has actually inspired me to do the same. Posting words and phrases of the language you're trying to learn on your wall is a good technique in motivating you to learn, especially if they're all over. Every time you do your regular tasks, you get to look at those words and couldn't help but read them. You unconsciously keep on repeating reading them and you suddenly realize that you have actually mastered the words. :)

I'm using the X Effect technique. You can find more about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/theXeffect/

Basically, you make a square card for the next 49 days with a certain habit that you are supposed to to daily. Everytime you do it, you make an X. Everytime you fail to do that thing in a day, you make a 0. It's an awesome technique for developing new habits, not to say that there is an entire community who will support you though your entire 49 days journey.

I think with many things one way to motivate is to send an end goal.  So in the case learning a new language may be necessary for a trip to a country that speaks the language.  Small achievements and goals along the way also helps.  For example leaning 20 new words a month can be a motivating factor.

A good motivation for me would be to establish the goal and make it specific. As in making goals, it's important to set up a date as to when you wish to accomplish that goal. I guess having a set date can provide a sense of urgency.

But I guess before anything else, it's best to reexamine the reason/s or your WHYs of learning the language in the first place. When you begin to ask yourself why you want to learn the language, you are reminded of why putting up time to study for it is worth your time. If you don't see the worth of learning the language, I doubt if you'll really put in the time to study. So, a constant reminder of your whys I think can help you motivate. Otherwise, perhaps it's not time yet and your interest lies elsewhere for the time being.

Having clear and specific goals motivate me to study a language or any other course for that matter. For example, I'm learning German because I am eyeing a lucrative job in Germany. The faster I can learn, the quicker I can start to apply for that job. On the other hand, I'm also learning French but there's  no rush on this one because I want to enjoy this beautiful and lyrical language.

Whenever I get lax about studying Korean, I just go watch a K-drama or music video.  It never fails to recharge me.  I really want to go to a k-pop concert, sing-along to the songs, and know what I'm saying.  The K-dramas always remind me that I want to go see South Korea in person and eat all the food.  K-dramas never fail to make me hungry.  With that reminder, I'll be motivated.  Plus, I always end up with either new words or expressions that I need to look up for context.  It gets me excited to think about going to South Korea without a translator since I'll probably have to go on a budget.  With my goal and budget in mind, I focus harder.

I keep focused on the end result. The thought that I will once be able to speak with anyone in West-Europe and the Americas already gives me goosebumps. I may not be the youngest anymore by then, but I will be the most useful. My dream is to live in all of the countries of which I want to learn the language for at least 2 years each. Deciding on a career will prove very difficult, though. At least I won't ever be short on friends...

It is always important to determine WHY you are learning another language. If the WHY is strong enough then it will most definitely carry you through your journey to learn another language. It is also very important to be consistent and make sure you are implementing the right techniques. The best technique is to try and speak with a person who fluently speaks the language ever so often. This way you are exposed to recognizing the language and you get practice pronouncing words. 

I think having a little white board and writing "Time to Study " or something like that would help. If not writing it down on a a paper and sticking it up on you fridge or somewhere you will see it easily. It does get really hard to set out some Time to Study a language, or to even remember to study.

If you love linguistics, writing, reading and other aspects of the written word, then, your learning process will be much easier. I am also studying English, but I really love it, and when I stop learning, I get some unpleasant feeling in my chest, as though something is missing. As you can see the love is my main motivation, and it is pushing me forward all the time. My day becomes much better, when I realize that I improved my language skills. What can be better than that?