Linguaholic

Singing To Learn

Rooks57

I was reading some blogs about language learning and everyone's personal tricks to learning. I came across this one writer who suggested finding the music that you like in the language you're learning.  His reasoning is that you loosen up and have fun just practicing learning the lyrics like you would a song in your native tongue.  Also, you learn how the words change with certain emotions, where people naturally put the emphasis.  I thought it was an interesting suggestion.  I have found that because I listen to k-pop because I genuinely enjoy it that I have an easier time picking out words when people speak.  In that way, I'm having an easier time with verbal part of Korean than I did when I learned Spanish in high school.  Do you add music as part of your strategy?  Do you think it helps?  Or not?  Do you think singing would actually help?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I enjoy listening to Adele and Amy Winehouse. Can I learn English just by listening to Adele and Amy Winehouse? I don't think so.  I can memorise the lyrics and even sing the songs, but this will never teach me the nuances of English language. However, I believe you can learn English by watching movies. You can watch people how they speak language and try to copy their diction. Best way to learn the language is watch TV shows in the language.

I haven't learned any French but I am tempted to when I listen to Stromae. One of his popular hits Papouti, really sat well with me. In no time I was singing along in French without knowing much of what he was saying. Then I looked up the lyrics and matched the words which got me to understand the context. Ever since then I have enjoyed listening to his music and learn along the way. This has definitely got me to enjoy other languages in song. It's definitely worth it and I learn it faster than other methods.

I think learning how to speak another language by listening to music is great. That's how my Russian friend  actually learned a lot of English, he would just listen to artist he liked and he started saying words he didn't know before, and  I'm like who taught you how to say That? and he's like I've been listening to a lot of music in English. So it's a great way to learn some ofthe language you trying to learn.    

Is enjoyable and easier than reading a novel in a foreign language along with a dictionary, watch a T.V show with subtitles and more entertaining than listening to Podcast. That's just my opinion though.

This is not something I've ever considered, but some members here have previously mentioned they listen to music and sing along as part of their learning and it seems to work for them. Looking at the argument that the author of the article puts across, it does make sense. I'm a huge fan of having fun while you learn because it keeps you going. I think the only challenge I'd be faced with would be the quality of the music itself. I'd want to seriously enjoy the music. I love my French and Italian, but have never really indulged in any music from those countries. So if any of you know of any good Italian or French chill/r&b/pop music that you can recommend, I'm all ears LOL I'm very curious about this method and would be interested in putting it to the test :)