Linguaholic

The first sentence that children learn in primary schools in your language

Sahar

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for the first sentences that children learn in primary schools from elementary-book in different languages in different countries. For example Iranian children usually learn first sentence: "بابا آب داد، بابا نان داد" Means "Dad takes water, Dad takes bread", in Georgian: "Ai ia - აი ია" (voila, this is a violet), in Spanish: " Mi mamá me mima" (My mom spoils me).

I just wanna know the sentence not just words.

Please send me phrases in original language and also in English.

Every phrase in every language will be very helpful for me

• 3 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think it differs from school to school in the states, but when I was younger, the first whole sentence I remember being taught to us is "The ball is red." Our teacher used this sentence to help us understand the basic idea of an adjective and a noun. It was funny when she tried to explain what a period was and nobody understood her. 

1 hour ago, OddVisions said:

I think it differs from school to school in the states, but when I was younger, the first whole sentence I remember being taught to us is "The ball is red." Our teacher used this sentence to help us understand the basic idea of an adjective and a noun. It was funny when she tried to explain what a period was and nobody understood her. 

Thank you. actually it`ll be depend on the area! would you please tell me where are you from?

1 hour ago, sidney said:

Usually they come in the form of nursery rhymes, like "Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water", etc, but it's taught bit by bit so as not to overwhelm the student.

Thank you, would you please tell me where are you from? and is that sentence the first full sentence you`ve learnt? because that`s really hard for first grade primary school!

The earliest memories I have of learning English are nursery rhymes. I can't remember what was the first thing taught to us in our local language as I don't think it was exactly taught until later on since we all spoke it already so from what I an remember English was given a bit more emphasis in the early years. 

On 9/12/2016 at 8:02 PM, Sahar said:

Thank you, would you please tell me where are you from? and is that sentence the first full sentence you`ve learnt? because that`s really hard for first grade primary school!

I'm from the Philippines. Actually no, they made us learn our names first and how to properly introduce ourselves.  Then the teachers started to teach us those nursery rhymes. 

Sahar,

I went to school in the UK. We certainly did a lot of nursery rhymes, but the emphasis there wasn't on reading or word forms but on speaking, listening and copying the teacher's gestures. The words were usually accompanied by actions.

With "The cat sat on the mat" I remember the teacher saying that "the" has a tall letter, a short letter and an in-between letter, and that "m" has two humps while "n" has one.

Words for animals were among the first we ever learnt. In English they tend to be simple three-letter words: cat, dog, rat, pig, cow. I wonder how that differs in other languages. In Romanian, animal words are a bit harder: cat = pisică, dog = câine, rat = șobolan. So maybe they teach those words a bit later.

6 hours ago, poftim said:

Sahar,

I went to school in the UK. We certainly did a lot of nursery rhymes, but the emphasis there wasn't on reading or word forms but on speaking, listening and copying the teacher's gestures. The words were usually accompanied by actions.

With "The cat sat on the mat" I remember the teacher saying that "the" has a tall letter, a short letter and an in-between letter, and that "m" has two humps while "n" has one.

Words for animals were among the first we ever learnt. In English they tend to be simple three-letter words: cat, dog, rat, pig, cow. I wonder how that differs in other languages. In Romanian, animal words are a bit harder: cat = pisică, dog = câine, rat = șobolan. So maybe they teach those words a bit later.

Wonderful! actually I`ve heard that the first sentence in UK is "I can read and write"! so this is not the fact, is this?

12 hours ago, sidney said:

I'm from the Philippines. Actually no, they made us learn our names first and how to properly introduce ourselves.  Then the teachers started to teach us those nursery rhymes. 

so nice. thanks.

33 minutes ago, Sahar said:

Wonderful! actually I`ve heard that the first sentence in UK is "I can read and write"! so this is not the fact, is this?

It won't be the same for everybody in the UK. And it was quite a long time ago for me now. :) So maybe "The cat sat on the mat" wasn't the very first sentence I learnt, and someone much older or younger than me probably had something quite different.

6 minutes ago, poftim said:

It won't be the same for everybody in the UK. And it was quite a long time ago for me now. :) So maybe "The cat sat on the mat" wasn't the very first sentence I learnt, and someone much older or younger than me probably had something quite different.

Have you ever heard this sentence?

That would actually differ from school to school and teacher to teacher so I can't speak for the others. My son attended a private preschool and the first sentences he 'learned' were about self-introductions and those were in English, not in the local language. The school emphasized pronunciation, reading, writing, shapes, vocabulary-building, and early math skills and these were again all in English. They also don't teach a particular sentence. Today's parents are under pressure to teach their children basic skills even before they enter school so I've taught my child some nursery rhymes early on. 

I have seen some interesting situations when I watch kindergarten children being taught English in Thailand. Just about every child is taught the daily greetings which ended up with everyone being able only to say "Good morning" since school starts in the morning. Then the next thing they learn is "How are you?" to which they learn to reply "Fine, thank you. And you?" This is repeated umpteen times until just about every child can do it without thinking. Unfortunately many do not progress any further than that. It's not unusual to meet university students who can fluently say those few phrases and then, that's it. Tha's all they can speak in English.