Linguaholic

Russian language

Dim

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I love Russia so I have dabbled in the language. Learning a new alphabet is always a challenge but it isn't too bad to write. The most confusing thing I find about it is the lack of "a" and "the." You can use Duolingo to practice, I also recommend the "ten minutes a day" book series.

I have never thought to try learning Russian simply because I doubt I'll ever set foot in the country and also because I get the feeling it's one of the most difficult languages to learn. Of course, I could very well be wrong. But  growing up, a friend of mine had this Russian female friend, and listening to her speak it sounded like music to my ears LOL I don't know if it was partly because she was drop dead gorgeous hehe -and BTW, I don't bat for the other team! Plus I just love accents and to hear a Russian speaking English is something I enjoy. Anyway, once in a while we'd ask her to teach us some Russian words and I always struggled with the pronunciation. So I don't know, I don't think I'd ever try to learn Russian.

Yes, I have learnt the Russian language or tried to. Its a fun language. The language does not have certain connecting words which we take for granted. Other than that, in terms of vocab and pronunciation, the words are similar to other languages. Also, the Russian alphabet is pretty easy to learn too.

I have learnt Russian for a few days.
Then I've got introduced to a very long word meaning "hello" and got dismotivated.

Russian isn't as difficult as it seems, but their alphabet ruins any form of motivation. I've tried to, considering that we are pretty close to Russia, but it's pretty much impossible to learn on your own and to understand their alphabet, either that, or it takes a lot.

The question is: why do you want to learn Russian, will it bring any advantage?

Actually @111kg, I found the Cyrillic script the easiest thing to self-learn when it comes to Russian.
There aren't many of them and I still recognise nearly all of them when reading something in Russian (although I read it slowly, but that's what happens with any new script you're introduced to).

• 1 month later...

I probably not qualified to answer the question since I'm a native speaker, but I believe Russian is not that hard in comparison with Asian languages. It's pronunciation and alphabet are much closer to Germanic and Romance languages then the ones of say Mandarin or Thai. And if you could manage to learn for example German, Russian grammar will be manageable for you too.

The main question is

On 19/9/2016 at 2:59 PM, 111kg said:

why do you want to learn Russian

On 19/9/2016 at 0:17 PM, Blaveloper said:

I have learnt Russian for a few days.
Then I've got introduced to a very long word meaning "hello" and got dismotivated.

When I was teaching my mother English, she had the same beef with it. For example Russian word for "everything" consists of only three letters.

43 minutes ago, abr said:

I probably not qualified to answer the question since I'm a native speaker, but I believe Russian is not that hard in comparison with Asian languages. It's pronunciation and alphabet are much closer to Germanic and Romance languages then the ones of say Mandarin or Thai. And if you could manage to learn for example German, Russian grammar will be manageable for you too.

Do you think so?
Because I thought Russian was much closer to any Slavic languages than to Germanic or Romance languages.
Well, maybe a Romance language like Romanian would a closer one, because that one got a lot of Slavic influence.

Blaveloper, you are right, Russian is a Slavic language. What I meant is that since the original question was in English then for that person whose mother tongue is of Germanic family Russian's pronunciation and alphabet would be easier because Russian is closer to Germainc family than any asian language.

And as for Romance languages, it's suprising how many Russian cognates in Spanish. And that "se" ending which is the same as Russian "ся" ending in meaning and very alike in sound.

• 2 weeks later...