Linguaholic

Always Carry a Dictionary?

John Snort

In the age of digital books is it even necessary to take a dictionary with you everywhere you go?

The purpose for having a dictionary with you is looking up news words as and when you come across them. Since dictionaries can be bulky wouldn't a digital version of your preferred dictionary work just as well as a physical one? Or do you think you are more likely to use the latter more often because it's weight at all times reminds you why you have it with you in the first place?

I went to the store and bought a dictionary, plus a thesaurus. I thought I was going to need both of them, and I also bought a Spanish translation book, they were all really thick. After a few days, I stopped looking at them and felt it was a waste of money because I have the internet and more to go and look up whatever I need. 

I prefer using the internet, but it would suck it the internet became unavailable. So in a way I'm happy I still have the book, it's just that you can't get verbal pronunciation with them like you can with phones.

Carrying a dictionary around for me did not work. I did this in Cote d'Ivoire years back, the locals were just staring at me in a funny way, I had to ditch the dictionary and use the basic French I knew how to speak.

It could work for others but I don't think I would try it again.

No, I don't carry a dictionary with me anymore. I used to back carry my French/English one when I was in university, but only when I was going for my lessons. If I were learning now, I doubt very much I would because of advances in modern technology. I've never looked into it, but I remember being in college in England where we had a lot of Chinese students who were there to learn English. They never carried these bog standard dictionaries, and always seemed in  possession of all these sleek, cute, digital devices of all types! -and this was about 7 years ago! So i'd be looking to get my hands on stuff like that.

• 5 weeks later...

I've never carried a dictionary around before the digital age and even more so now that there are a lot of good dictionary apps that you can use to learn pronunciation, too. Ever noticed how writing styles have also evolved and internet bloggers are using simpler words and shorter paragraphs in their blogs/articles to cater to internet readers? I hardly use the digital apps which are conveniently installed in my tablet/smartphone so I don't think I'd like to bring a dictionary, even pocket ones.

I have a dictionary that's smaller and thinner than a notebook, and it's an English-Spanish dictionary. I think it can be handy when you are travelling and you have no internet access. But I also would prefer the digital version or just google the word or sentence when the need arises.

• 3 weeks later...

For me it's necessary to use books to advance my language learning.  I can look up encyclopedias online but having books about the language I'm learning helps me and prevents dependence on the internet for my studies.  I keep collecting new words and phrases I find in books and type them into a word list on my computer so I can go over them repeatedly every day to help with my memorization. 

• 1 month later...