Linguaholic

An alternative to 和 for in-between sentences?

Enlivo

All my life I thought simply means "and", and there are no grammatical rules about it. I am simply shocked to learn today that only applies to nouns, such as 我的爸爸和妈妈. Apparently saying  他是我的哥哥,和他是我最好的朋友 (He is my brother, and he is my best friend) is wrong. So what would be the right way to say this sentence? I guess something like 他是我的哥哥. 他也是我最好的朋友 (He is my brother. He is also my best friend) ?

Is there any alternative to this word? I can't think of any good examples yet, but what if there is a time when we need to combine two sentences together with the word "and"? Or does Chinese never use the word "and" between sentences (Just separate it with a comma or period)?

Thanks in advance!

Quite interesting, considering that 和 in Japanese actually means "peace" or "Japanese".
And apparently it looks like it has way more meanings in Chinese.

Another Chinese dictionary (http://www.chinese-dictionary.org/) might be easier to understand, but you should copy/paste the character in by yourself because I can't provide a direct link, because hipster code.

Enlivo,

You can use 也 or 而且 or 并且 and some other words as a conjunction between clauses. Thus, 

He is my brother, and he is my best friend. = 他是我哥哥/弟弟,是我最好的朋友。 or 他是我哥哥/弟弟,而且是我最好的朋友。 (For some reason, 并且 is not appropriate to be used here.)

It seems that you need a textbook on grammar or syntax to facilitate your learning.

Thanks Pinutile, I appreciate it.

Yup I'm using a textbook for learning now in my course. It's a bit slow though, so we're not going into using words like 而且 or 并且 yet. I was just curious since    apparently only works for in between nouns, and I can't seem to find a good alternative on the internet for in between sentences besides 也 .

• 1 year later...

Pinutile
I may be new to this forum...but are questions similar to this one..not the reason for said forum(s)?
..but i digress, because, i do not believe that i would be able to facilitate an appropriate answer capable of someone such as your self, to understand...not because it is too complex but rather, too simple. 
Your answer, was however, a very good one, i will certainly give you that!!!! 

On 12.9.2016 at 11:19 PM, Blaveloper said:

Quite interesting, considering that 和 in Japanese actually means "peace" or "Japanese".
And apparently it looks like it has way more meanings in Chinese.

Another Chinese dictionary (http://www.chinese-dictionary.org/) might be easier to understand, but you should copy/paste the character in by yourself because I can't provide a direct link, because hipster code.

和 actually means Peace in Chinese as well...

• 4 months later...
On 9/15/2016 at 3:52 PM, Pinutile said:

Enlivo,

You can use 也 or 而且 or 并且 and some other words as a conjunction between clauses. Thus, 

He is my brother, and he is my best friend. = 他是我哥哥/弟弟,是我最好的朋友。 or 他是我哥哥/弟弟,而且是我最好的朋友。 (For some reason, 并且 is not appropriate to be used here.)

It seems that you need a textbook on grammar or syntax to facilitate your learning.

Why is 并且 not appropriate here exactly? 

2 hours ago, Otsukisama said:

hey Otsukisama

Good question. I will ask my chinese colleague on Monday about that and will let you know what she has to say about it. I am working in Beijing so I am right at the source :=)

Best, 

L

On 13.4.2018 at 5:21 PM, Otsukisama said:

In fact I asked my colleague now and she is certain that 并且 is also acceptable here. But it is even better if you are using it with 也 together: 

他是我哥哥,并且也是我最好的朋友

Bingqie alone is generally rather written Chinese and pretty formal, wherease bingqie and ye combined is more close to oral Chinese.