Linguaholic

How to get a new SIM card in Russian!

Angelos Georgakis

Hi guys,

I’m in Kiev, Ukraine at the moment and I thought to make a video about how to get a local SIM card in a mobile phone shop.

You get into the shop. How do you ask for the SIM card? What sort of questions do you expect from the seller?

I hope that in this video you’ll find lots of useful phrases. I’ve added both Russian and English subtitles.

Watch HERE! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHWMysBmqc

Best, Angelos

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering if it's the same in Russia. Usually when I go there, I stay for a week and depending on Wifi is kind of annoying. 

How does it work in Russia? And what's the best operator to go for? Beeline? Or some other operator?

On 9/18/2016 at 0:56 PM, reverserewind said:

To buy a SIM card in that area you have to have your passport / id with you. That's important. Otherwise, they will most likely refuse to sell anything to you.

Yes, in Russia passport is definitely necessary. In Ukraine, it's not (at least in Kiev where I got a new number). 

• 3 weeks later...

If you buy a sim card in a specialized shop they'll ask you for the passport. But sometimes there are street stands usually near a subway stations. There you could get a sim card without passport.

We have three major operators in Moscow region: Beeline, MTS and Megafon. All three of them offer similar tariff options with minor differences. And the quality is pretty much the same as well.