Linguaholic

Help required! Unknown language

Hey! I hope someone can help. I recently inherited this necklace from my grandfather - he received it from his father before him.

Can anyone identify the language and translate? I'm struggling with this one. 

I've been led to believe it originated in either India or Singapore.

Thanks in advance!

Jonny

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

That looks either like Arabic or Persian.
I've never learnt any of the 2, so I don't know what it says.

Yep, looks Arabic to me.  That is a really interesting story though, so I hope that you are able to figure out what it means.  I always like seeing family heirlooms, and this is about as close to a mystery novel that you could get, so the corny and cheesy side of me is coming out.  Best of luck to you and I hope you can come back and share it with us.

The language could also be Urdu, and it has more similarities to Persian rather than Arabic.  Nevertheless, Urdu, Arabic, and Persian have the same script.  Since you mentioned that the artifact could have originated from India, it is most likely an Urdu artifact.

I'm leaning to Urdu as well.  Especially if this was before the Partition, which, given that it was your grandfather's is very likely.  Fortunately, Urdu is still spoken, so you can probably find someone to translate.  Calligraphy is widely used as an art form by Muslims, as it is forbidden to depict a human or animal form in religious art.  But then again, if it's directions to an ancient treasure, let us know! :)  

On 9/19/2016 at 9:37 AM, AExAVF said:

The language could also be Urdu, and it has more similarities to Persian rather than Arabic.  Nevertheless, Urdu, Arabic, and Persian have the same script.  Since you mentioned that the artifact could have originated from India, it is most likely an Urdu artifact.

Well I think that I need to get out there and do some homework.  I would like to think that I am pretty well educated and know a good amount of things about the world, but I have never even heard of Urdu before, at least not anything that jumps to mind, so I am a little disappointed in myself.  It sounds very interesting and intriguing, and something that has a lot of history to it as well, which is always fascinating to me.