Linguaholic

Tere!

x0xLucyMx0x

Hello! 

My name is Luigi (Lucy) and I'm from Estonia. So my native language is Estonian. 

I started learning English in 3rd grade and got to choose between Russian and German in 6th grade. I chose Russian, because my family had a lot of Russian-speaking friends and my grandpa was also Russian. Each time we visited them, my parents would speak Russian with them and I didn't understand a thing. So that was my main motivator to learn Russian. The next language I attempted to learn was German in 10th grade. I took it for a year in school, but due to busy lifestyle, I didn't have time to learn it the proper way. I also tried to learn French on my own, but that didn't work out well too. 

The weird thing is that I tend to translate my name whenever I introduce myself in different languages. In English I usually say that my name is Lucy, in Russian say my name is Lyudmilla or Lyubov, in German I would say Luisa and in French Louise. Why? Because Estonians pronounce letters differently, so it's hard for foreigners to pronounce my name right. 

17 minutes ago, x0xLucyMx0x said:

Hello! 

My name is Luigi (Lucy) and I'm from Estonia. So my native language is Estonian. 

I started learning English in 3rd grade and got to choose between Russian and German in 6th grade. I chose Russian, because my family had a lot of Russian-speaking friends and my grandpa was also Russian. Each time we visited them, my parents would speak Russian with them and I didn't understand a thing. So that was my main motivator to learn Russian. The next language I attempted to learn was German in 10th grade. I took it for a year in school, but due to busy lifestyle, I didn't have time to learn it the proper way. I also tried to learn French on my own, but that didn't work out well too. 

The weird thing is that I tend to translate my name whenever I introduce myself in different languages. In English I usually say that my name is Lucy, in Russian say my name is Lyudmilla or Lyubov, in German I would say Luisa and in French Louise. Why? Because Estonians pronounce letters differently, so it's hard for foreigners to pronounce my name right. 

Warm welcome Lucy! Feel free to share some knowledge with all of us. Would be amazing if you could teach us a little bit about Estonian!

Best,

Linguaholic

1 hour ago, x0xLucyMx0x said:

Hello! 

Welcome to the forum, Lucy! I really hope you have a great time here. That's quite a list of languages you have under your belt. Congratulations, and I hope you get all the help you need here.