Linguaholic

Your Favorite English Accent

Alfonso

I love a good British accent, especially the kind coming out of the Public School/Oxbridge system. Hearing someone like Simon Schama or Stephen Fry speaking is just bliss to my ears. Obviously I get some enjoyment out of more peripheral accents, like a Scottish brogue or a strong Aussie accent. I'm not so much amused by broken English or thick foreign accents.

I really like British accents. British just sounds so formal to me, I feel like whenever I hear it, I'm wearing a $500 tuxedo and drinking a $100 wine.

Does the Morgan Freeman accent count as an accent? Morgan Freeman's accent sounds like heaven to me.

Coming from South Africa, I love the well-spoken British English South African accent. There are so many official languages in South Africa and so many accents, coming from the Afrikaans and the African languages, but I love the British colonial English spoken there. The South African accent is apparently the hardest accent to copy for actors and no-one has ever managed to do it authentically. Leonardo Di Caprio did quite a good job of it in Blood Diamond, but as a South African, you can tell its not genuine.

That South African English accent is what makes Sharlto Copely so fun to watch. Great actor and his accent in Elysium was such fun to listen too! Definitely one of my favorites aside from a good old cockney accent.

My favourite English accent is, well the English accent lol. The accent that they use in England. It sounds so elegant and cool. I think the Australian accent is awesome as well though. I also find the Brooklyn and Boston accents funny too.

• 3 weeks later...

As a Scot, then I have to say that the Scottish accent is wonderful.

But, even in a country as small as Scotland there are many types of accent. The east coast and west coast are completely different, and then you have the Highlanders and the Doonhammers.

I would love everyone on here who has stated they like the Scottish accent to have to listen to a weedgie ned for 5 minutes and see if they feel the same.

All Scots should sound like Sean Connery. I know I do ;)

I think the British accent tops my list of favorite English accents. It sounds very elegant. The second on my list is the Scandinavian accent because it does not really sound English, German-like. It seems weird putting it that way, but I think that is exactly the reason why I like their listening to their accent.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too many people like it, but I love (standard) British accent. I lived in Oxford for a few moths and I got used to that accent, and even liked it. I also like when French people speaks in English; even in another language French accent is great.

My favorite English accent is Canadian English.

I used to live in UK and I learned English accent from British. However, when i moved to Canada from London, I recognized that there were many words speaking differently. For example, letter and water. I was confused when i spoke those words in Canada. However, my accent was changed a bit day by day, and it's seem like Canadian English right now. And I love it. I will keep this accent and do not change it anymore.

I got mad love for many English accents. However, probably the number one in the list is Australian English. It's been my lifelong favourite and also my accent of choice when communicating with other fellow English speakers. Australian Accent is fun, vibrant, dynamic and at times crazy. Aussie slang is definitely of entertainment value.

Overall, Australian English is witty and sharp but also welcoming and intimate. It makes me feel refreshed when speaking the slangs!

Keeps me awake and revived like a bushman's clock, mate!

I just really like Southern American English accent. It just sounds really cool. Of course there is something about the standard British accent that makes it sound so sophisticated.

Well i really love the English Accent. They sound so unique, I Love it when they speak.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the Australian accent, especially the way they say "mate" or ... the "c" word. Also the scottish accent that you see in movies and what not. It sounds so awesome, but unfortunately I have heard real scottish people and none of them talked like that, which was a bit dissapointing to say the least.

Me coming from the West of England, people say I have a Wurzel accent, which I'm very proud of! A Wurzel in England is like a Hick in the States, someone in rustic clothes who swings on a gate all day with a straw in their mouth and a flask of cider within easy reach. 

Well actually I don't swing on the gate ALL day!

The accent for me is the nicest one in GB.

I have a theory, and I've never actually seen this discussed, that the US English accent has a lot of input from the GB West Country accent, the reason being that the original settlers in the New World were from around the Bristol area. Bristol was the biggest port in the West of England in the 16th to 18th centuries. By the time successive waves of migrants to the US arrived the Bristol accent was already predominant in America and the new arrivals took it on board.

Any ideas about this theory?

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to go with the standard English(British) accent. When I hear women speak with that accent it causes instant attraction. Of course that can wear off if they are annoying. Really most English accents are pretty great.

I enjoy listening to Germans speaking English. They sound much gentler than when they speak in German. Although right now I am obsessed with the Australian accent. Thanks to a youtuber named Natalie Tran. Although she's of Vietnamese decent, her Australian accent is just adorable!  :love: