Linguaholic

Your Favorite English Accent

Alfonso

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I don't think I really have a specific favorite english accent. I do know I prefer american english over brittish english, both the accent and the vocabulary. I do sort of like scottish and irish accents though.

Some sort of north american accent is probably what I like the most.

I love the accent heard in old American movies, I believe it's called "Transatlantic". I have no idea why though, I guess I just watch a lot of movies from 1940's and 1950's and I know that nobody actually talked like that in those days, but it was taught in boarding schools and only used by actors in movies.

I have a liking for the Irish and the South American accents. I like the Irish accent, due to the certain amount of rawness it brings while pronunciation of certain words. It is commonly referred to as the Irish brogue. I like the South American accent because the way the speakers roll their R's while pronouncing words like Rollers, etc

I like the sound of the Irish accent best, I don't know what it is about the accent but it just sounds great to listen to. I think most of the British accents are not bad sounding but I am not keen on the welsh accent as I find it can be a little irritating.

I love American English for its clarity, British - the Queen's English to be specific - for reminding me of Victorian era (I love British period films) and the Irish accent for its beautiful lilt.

I love the Scottish accent even though I can't really understand it. I have a lot of Scottish friends and whenever I hear them talk I just hear the accent not what they are saying because it's really hard to understand for me.

If I could I'd move to England and stay there until I have an accent.

I was in New Zealand for two years (student exchange programs) and I didn't even realize that I had a Kiwi accent until my friends teased me about it!  :grin:

I really, really love standard English, the kind of English you're likely to hear on BBC shows and in period dramas. Call it posh if you like but I have a very romanticised view of it, haha. I'm trying to learn how to speak like that (which isn't at all weird for a 17 year old Swedish girl in 2014, right...) but it's so difficult to make it sound authentic. The more casual standard English is lovely, too. There's a British actress called Lenora Crichlow who's from London, she's got exactly the accent I'd like to have.

My own accent - Swedish - is just terrible! It sounds so awkward to my ears.

I think I prefer the Australian accent or the Canadian accent over other English accents.  Not sure why really, especially since I previously despised the Aussi accent when I was younger.

I really, really love standard English, the kind of English you're likely to hear on BBC shows and in period dramas. Call it posh if you like but I have a very romanticised view of it, haha. I'm trying to learn how to speak like that (which isn't at all weird for a 17 year old Swedish girl in 2014, right...) but it's so difficult to make it sound authentic. The more casual standard English is lovely, too. There's a British actress called Lenora Crichlow who's from London, she's got exactly the accent I'd like to have.

My own accent - Swedish - is just terrible! It sounds so awkward to my ears.

I love the English accent too, so I know what you mean. It just sounds so formal and proper that you can't help but hang on to every word even when what is being said is relatively insignificant or casual. As for the Swedish accent, I've only mostly heard parodies of it and a few times from one of my friend's friend who is Swedish, to be honest, but I actually find it very charming in some ways.

I actually don't know which part of the UK speaks the English accent I like, but it sounds beautiful. It sounds quite posh and they roll words off of their tongue very smoothly. It's sort of like Hannah Trigwell's accent.

It is sort like a laid back accent, yet you could still hear a bit of a British accent.

I am from Canada and was never really aware of our 'accent' until I lived in England. My husband is from the West Midlands, and I barely notice his accent when we're at home in Canada. When we go to England however, I find his accent intensifies when he's back in his home surroundings. I like his accent the best, sometimes it takes us a trip to the UK for me to realize.

I am not an accent expert. I do know there is the British accent, the most famous one I think, but then I don't know if some words I say are in the "american" or the UK way. I watch a lot of TV and I think that most contents are from the US, so probably my English should have an American accent.  :nerd:

A mild Southern accent is my favorite but a really strong one (your typical redneck) is painful to listen to and difficult to decipher. Northern accents, specifically Minnesotan accents are hilarious. Their vowel elongation and unique pronunciation get me every time. Boston accents drive me crazy though, really any accent from the Northeast infuriate me, it's just a hassle to try to understand and they always sound like the're angry.

I love the British accent! It just seems so full of authority, and so very crisp! I like the way Britons pronounce words. Americans roll their tongue when saying certain words, but the Britons almost never do so, and their words hit you like a bullet! I am an Indian, and no matter how hard I try, I am never able to replicate the British accent that I so love!

• 4 weeks later...

I really like listening to Spanish people talking in English. Their "r" sounds so powerful and curious in English. I also enjoy the melodic English of Italians, in my ears it sounds wonderful. Then there is the Scottish accent that I find intriguing and inspiring in a strange way, I don't know quite why. :)