Linguaholic

Your Favorite English Accent

Alfonso

With English being the universal language and the national language of several countries, its no surprise that you'll find a long list of different English accents. From the list below (which only includes some of the more popular English accents) which is your favorite accent, I personally like the English accents of people from Jamaica and Spain.

English Speakers from..

-America (New York)

-America (South)

-America (California)

-Australia

-Canada

-China

-England (Cockney)

-England (Standard)

-England (South)

-England (Welsh)

-England (Midlands)

-France

-India

-Italy

-Jamaica

-Malaysia

-Mexico

-New Zealand

-The Philippines

-Russia

-Scotland

-Scandinavia

-Spain

(I'm sure there are a lot of others so please don't limit your answers to this list)

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I like Scottish and Irish the most. I don't know that much about them but whenever I hear them I am really enjoying myself  :grin:

Would you like me to add a poll for this question as well? So all of you could give your vote and we could see in relation about the popularity of different English dialects.

I like Scottish and Irish the most. I don't know that much about them but whenever I hear them I am really enjoying myself  :grin:

Would you like me to add a poll for this question as well? So all of you could give your vote and we could see in relation about the popularity of different English dialects.

Yes, I think a poll would be a great idea!  :)

I like this topic.  I  think it's an important one because we do need to be aware of the various dialects of English worldwide.  It's fascinating how the language -- both pronunciation and vocabulary -- evolves, region by region.  Same language, but subtle difference.

I like the accents of the American South, which vary a bit region by region but they are all similar.  The "Southern drawl" as it's sometimes called, as often people will speak more slowly and draw out the words.  I think the sound of the language and the idiomatic expressions are so expressive. 

And yes, I also Irish and Scottish accents. :)  They have a beautiful, musical sound.   

Hearing English spoken with a slight Spanish accent is pleasant to my ears.  Some Southern accents are pleasant, depending on the region.

Kind of a funny side story:  I have a cousin from Australia and she, naturally, has an Australian accent. I am from the the rural Pacific Northwest and we really don't have much in the way of an accent and few regional language distinctions.  I asked her one time what we sounded like to her and she said something like "very plain, simple, almost robotic."  I'm not sure if we sound that way to everyone, but who knows.  :wink:

English (Welsch) and Italian are by far my favorites. One thing I learnt after coming to U.S is, it seems that every state has their own accent as well! I have a hard time to understand people from the south such as Texas and I love New Yorker accent. I have a Canadian friend that every time I talk to him and he goes 'eh?' I always thought that's so cute! :laugh:

Playing online game with people around the world have got me to know more and more English accent and every time I talk to them and I don't understand them,I'd try to talk to them more to get familiar with their accent. I am proud to say that I am now familiar with Australian and New Zealand English accent as well. I didn't understand them at all at first. It sounded like they talk from their throat! but now, every time we play together and someone was like 'I don't understand that guy.where is he from'. I'd be the one who tells him what he was saying because I am used to his accent.

When I first moved into the smaller town in Wisconsin,a lot of people said my accent was really thick. years later when I went to visit the same person I met when I first came here,She said 'your accent is not as thick as you first got here.now you just have to learn to say UFFDA!'  :laugh:.I guess there's a lot of Norwegians in where we live.

Being American, I have to say I like to listen to British accents the most. I'm not sure which one I prefer, exactly. After that, it's Australian and then probably Scottish in terms of which are favorites.

It's hard to choose, though, since I find all accents fascinating.

My least favorite accent(s) are anybody who has moved to Canada from another country. I don't know why, since I don't really perceive Canadians as having a strong accent most of the time, but have a really hard time understanding that mix!

Coming from the Philippines myself, I must say that English spoken in a Filipino accent sounds beautiful to me. Even though a lot of people dislike the roughness of this particular accent, I still like hearing it as it reminds me of home.

I also like the classic sound of English spoken in the Great Britain as it just sounds so romantic and polite.

Sorry to be a total pedant, but being Scottish, British and, obviously, a native English speaker I have a few things to point out. "English (Welsh)" is an oxymoron - Wales isn't in England, therefore their accent isn't English. I'm assuming what you mean is "British", in which case Scottish shouldn't be separate either. Wales is no more English than Scotland is - they're all in Britain but separate countries.

Sorry, as a linguist, a Scot and a proud unionist, it irks me when people confuse England and Britain, and make out that Scotland has nothing to do with either.

Also, there is no such thing as "standard" British accent. What people mean when they claim to love a classic British accent is actually Queen's English, which is only spoken in a tiny, tiny area of the country by a tiny, tiny amount of people and is in no way standard.

Anyway, back to the question...I guess I like Canadian accents, Ontario accents particularly. I also like the sound of Scandinavians speaking English.

I just love the way british accent sounds, a friend of mine is british and everything he says sound so.... ahhh!!!  Nice!  I think it's also because he has such a deep and sensual voice.  I think you must have a voice like that to really rock the british accent  :tongue:  By british accent I meant the kind of accent you hear in London!

Of course it is the British accent! English in India originated primarily during the stay of the British. I have been used to that accent since school days. Of course having watched lot of American movies and NBA, I do love the American accent too :)

With English being the universal language and the national language of several countries, its no surprise that you'll find a long list of different English accents. From the list below (which only includes some of the more popular English accents) which is your favorite accent, I personally like the English accents of people from Jamaica and Spain.

English Speakers from..

-America (New York)

-America (South)

-America (California)

-Australia

-Canada

-China

-England (Cockney)

-England (Standard)

-England (South)

-England (Welsh)

-England (Midlands)

-France

-India

-Italy

-Jamaica

-Malaysia

-Mexico

-New Zealand

-The Philippines

-Russia

-Scotland

-Scandinavia

-Spain

(I'm sure there are a lot of others so please don't limit your answers to this list)

I note that (English) Scouse isn't on the list and so as a 'Scouser' I am adding it. Scouse is the accent from Liverpool and to be honest, I don't really like it myself although I know many people who visit Liverpool Love it.

For me, I like lots of accents from outside Liverpool but not Cockney or Brum (from Birmingham).

I like how Californians speak.  They sound so relaxed and jovial.  That's how people should sound when they speak their native tongue.  The Northeasterners of the US sound nasally and unhappy.  The males from the South sound gay to me.  I do like the southern accent when it is women speaking though.

As of lately, the Irish English accent has become my favorite.  I'm guilty of having not only a New York accent, but a Long Island accent (or Lawn Guyland) and I can say, it's very refreshing to hear an Irish accent. 

I also definitely enjoy the Californian accent-it's so much slower paced and much calmer than the New York accent that I'm used to hearing every single day.  It's definitely interesting to visit different parts of America and hear how truly different every region speaks.

I just really like Southern American English accent. It just sounds really cool. Of course there is something about the standard British accent that makes it sound so sophisticated.

I know I'm biased...but I love Southerners. And Irishmen. :)

I love the Australian and British accents. They can read a phone book to me and make it sound appealing. It also has some sex appeal to it. I think I will need to make a visit to Australia and Great Britain very soon.  :laugh:

I have a predilection for the Russian, Irish, Scottish, Australian, Spanish, African, and Scandinavian accents. Actually, it's quite difficult to narrow the preference down when I really think about it. Ha! Whenever I hear distinctive accents, my ears perk up in attempts to figure out where the person is from.

I love Scottish and Australian accent. Well, I like Scottish as long as one doesn't sound very similar to Sean Connery. I love Ashley Brown's accent on America's Next Top Model British Invasion. I have cousins who grew up in Australia and it makes me giggle when they're talking. So adorable!

I just really like Southern American English accent. It just sounds really cool. Of course there is something about the standard British accent that makes it sound so sophisticated.

I love the Southern American English accent. It has a very pleasing and musical quality about it. The standard British accent is very elegant too.

English Speakers from..

-America (New York)

-America (South)

-America (California)

-Australia

-Canada

-China

-England (Cockney)

-England (Standard)

-England (South)

-England (Welsh)

-England (Midlands)

-France

-India

-Italy

-Jamaica

-Malaysia

-Mexico

-New Zealand

-The Philippines

-Russia

-Scotland

-Scandinavia

-Spain

I like the fact Alphonso that you said that you liked the Jamaican English accent. As a Jamaican, I would like to thank you for that Alphonso. I have found out that they are many people in the world who consider our accent to be very beautiful. It's funny that years ago, even the Jamaicans themselves saw their accent as something that was negative since they could not sound like their British colonizers, but I'm glad that things are changing now.

Guest isabbbela

I would probably say my favorite accent to listen to is the British (not from Newcastle). I understand the American accent way better (from anywhere in America), but the Brit sounds more polished, I love it.

Now English with an Asian accent to me is the hardest to understand, I have a really hard time for some reason. I guess it's because Asian languages will usually have such different pronunciations. But it takes me a while to understand...