Jump to content
Linguaholic

My Own Language (Ancient Post)


Recommended Posts

Hi,

I am 15 years old and live in Belgium. I've made my own language based on Dutch, since that is my native language, so I wanted to ask you what you think about it. It has grammar and spelling rules.

Exemple: Minyèr é Mifrå Düllin, få Privet Drive Fire, šin ghát trót på så det šé pèrfèk normol šin ghát, tak jã yèl fèl. Šé šin ghát mèst låt mènzh jã fèvak bã ýits rår šin bãtrèk-bin, utát šé ýivün ní myètun på det usin.

Minyèr Düllin šin ghát direktör på è firma nåm-bin Grüniñs, vi bórzh mákh ghát. Hã šin ghát è gru, flèši mann mit binå ní nek, mó hã yèb ghát è yèl gru snòr. Mifrå Düllin šin ghát tünn é blãt é yèb ghát binå Tvó mall normol iufèlet nek, vá nüsik šin ghát utát sã só fèl tit turbrèñ ghát á še kik uur tûnièkzh, á še spiòner på bürzh. Düllinzh yèb ghát è klėn són nåm-bin Dudli é i hün mènin r šin ghát ní bèr yuñ tó hün.

Transaltion: Mr and Ms Dursley, from Privet Drive four, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you expect to be involved by something weird, because they don't participate to that nonsense.

Mr Dursley was the director of a firma called Grunnings, who/that made drills. He was a big, meaty man with almost no neck, but he had a very large moustache. Mrs Dursley was skinny and blonde and had almost two times the normal amount of neck, which was useful because she spent so much time watching over gardenfences, spying the neighbours. The Dursleys had one small son called Dudley and in their opinion there was no better boy than him. (From Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by J.K. Rowling)

GRAMMAR

So for past tense (e.g. he was) I used the verb 'šin' (to be) and I add 'ghát', from the Dutch word 'gehad' (had), so you say 'Hã šin ghát direktör', which litterally translates to 'He is had director'. You also don't inflect verbs, so you say 'ö šin, jã šin, hã/sã šin, vi šin, yul šin, šé šin' (I be, you be, he/she be, we be, you be, they be). If you have a past participle you have the verb and you just add '-bin' (e.g. nåm-bin (called)). The bin is from the Dutch word 'ben' wich means 'to be', so you litterally say 'to name-to be). You don't use articles, so instead of 'the cow is eating' you say 'cow is eating' (ku èt). For the plural form of a word you add '-zh' so 'ku' (cow) in plural will be 'kuzh'

PRONOUNCIATION:

å ~ far

ã ~ where

š ~ shoot

é ~ may

è ~ where

zh ~ like š, but softer

ò ~ pork

ó ~ boat

ö ~ further

ü ~ Für Elise

u ~ you

ñ ~ long

The 'r' is rolled like in Spanish (or Dutch, or any other language with a rolling r)

So thank you for reading the full article, and I'd love to know your opinion, thank you very much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orion L said:

Hi,

I am 15 years old and live in Belgium. I've made my own language based on Dutch, since that is my native language, so I wanted to ask you what you think about it. It has grammar and spelling rules.

Exemple: Minyèr é Mifrå Düllin, få Privet Drive Fire, šin ghát trót på så det šé pèrfèk normol šin ghát, tak jã yèl fèl. Šé šin ghát mèst låt mènzh jã fèvak bã ýits rår šin bãtrèk-bin, utát šé ýivün ní myètun på det usin.

Minyèr Düllin šin ghát direktör på è firma nåm-bin Grüniñs, vi bórzh mákh ghát. Hã šin ghát è gru, flèši mann mit binå ní nek, mó hã yèb ghát è yèl gru snòr. Mifrå Düllin šin ghát tünn é blãt é yèb ghát binå Tvó mall normol iufèlet nek, vá nüsik šin ghát utát sã só fèl tit turbrèñ ghát á še kik uur tûnièkzh, á še spiòner på bürzh. Düllinzh yèb ghát è klėn són nåm-bin Dudli é i hün mènin r šin ghát ní bèr yuñ tó hün.

Transaltion: Mr and Ms Dursley, from Privet Drive four, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you expect to be involved by something weird, because they don't participate to that nonsense.

Mr Dursley was the director of a firma called Grunnings, where drills were made. He was a big, meaty man with almost no neck, but he had a very large moustache. Mrs Dursley was skinny and blonde and had almost two times the normal amount of neck, which was useful because she spent so much time watching over gardenfences, spying the neighbours. The Dursleys had one small son called Dudley and in their opinion there was no better boy than him. (From Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by J.K. Rowling)

GRAMMAR

So for past tense (e.g. he was) I used the verb 'šin' (to be) and I add 'ghát', from the Dutch word 'gehad' (had), so you say 'Hã šin ghát direktör', which litterally translates to 'He is had director'. You also don't inflect verbs, so you say 'ö šin, jã šin, hã/sã šin, vi šin, yul šin, šé šin' (I be, you be, he/she be, we be, you be, they be). If you have a past participle you have the verb and you just add '-bin' (e.g. nåm-bin (called)). The bin is from the Dutch word 'ben' wich means 'to be', so you litterally say 'to name-to be). You don't use articles, so instead of 'the cow is eating' you say 'cow is eating' (ku èt). For the plural form of a word you add '-zh' so 'ku' (cow) in plural will be 'kuzh'

PRONOUNCIATION:

å ~ far

ã ~ where

š ~ shoot

é ~ may

è ~ where

zh ~ like š, but softer

ò ~ pork

ó ~ boat

ö ~ further

ü ~ Für Elise

u ~ you

ñ ~ long

The 'r' is rolled like in Spanish (or Dutch, or any other language with a rolling r)

So thank you for reading the full article, and I'd love to know your opinion, thank you very much.

awesome! Other guys at your age play games, you invent a new language! Respect. I will have a closer look at it soon!

Welcome to Linguaholic.com

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I attempted to invent an own language before that combined Dutch, English and German and used Hiragana as its writing system.
But I abandoned it the next day, so much respect to you for keeping it up. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, linguaholic said:

awesome! Other guys at your age play games, you invent a new language! Respect. I will have a closer look at it soon!

Welcome to Linguaholic.com

 

Yes that is true :P and thank you :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, poftim said:

Nice! Have you ever been to the conlangs page on Reddit? It's thriving, and mostly frequented by youngsters like you. I'm sure you'll get lots of responses there.

I am gonna look it up right now! Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I'll be "that guy": what are you going to do with it? Because you must find ways to promote it and, more than that, you have to motivate people to learn it.

Other than that, good effort, but it's up to you to make it popular.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm I can't agree about the misuse of articles, but if we are talking in practical terms, you really don't need it and refrain from using them will allow people to still communicate each other just fine. Seems fairly straightforward and simple,just like Esperanton, I encourage you to make a video showing all the proper pronountiations. Which I guess it might sound quite dutch. By the way, there are companies that are dedicated to design languages for entertainment media like movies or tv series. The Doth'raki language from Games of Throne is an example of them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 5-10-2016 at 11:45 PM, Blaveloper said:

I attempted to invent an own language before that combined Dutch, English and German and used Hiragana as its writing system.
But I abandoned it the next day, so much respect to you for keeping it up.

I've also had those moments where I was lik: "Should I give up, or not?" but then I remembered that I did it as a goal to myself so that's why I proceeded creating this language

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11-10-2016 at 3:50 PM, AntonioCalcano said:

I think this is just awesome, you're very talented and smart I wish I could come up with something like this. It's a great idea to have your own language because maybe who knows you become famous one day and everyone starts using it

That would be awesome :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11-10-2016 at 8:36 PM, 111kg said:

Ok, I'll be "that guy": what are you going to do with it? Because you must find ways to promote it and, more than that, you have to motivate people to learn it.

Other than that, good effort, but it's up to you to make it popular.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it, sometimes I text a friend of min, because she is a very logical thinker so she understands it, but she can't respond in the language :mellow:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11-10-2016 at 9:55 PM, lingvo said:

Mmm I can't agree about the misuse of articles, but if we are talking in practical terms, you really don't need it and refrain from using them will allow people to still communicate each other just fine. Seems fairly straightforward and simple,just like Esperanton, I encourage you to make a video showing all the proper pronountiations. Which I guess it might sound quite dutch. By the way, there are companies that are dedicated to design languages for entertainment media like movies or tv series. The Doth'raki language from Games of Throne is an example of them. 

Is it possible to upload a video on this site?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9-10-2016 at 6:56 AM, lyzza said:

That is a massive amount of diacritics. How long did it take to type all of those?

It didn't take that much time since I can write most of them with my keyboard ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Orion L said:

Is it possible to upload a video on this site?

In fact what you could do is simply upload it on youtube and then paste the link here on linguaholic.com. The video will be embedded automatically in your post then. If you ONLY want to upload here in the forums, you can  send me the video and I will try to embed it.

Best,

Lingua

Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got ten letters with diacritics which doesn't strike me as excessive. I suppose the six different types of diacritics is on the high side, but I don't think it matters. Any language you create is bound to be unusual in some way or else it would be kind of pointless. If you want to see serious diacritic action, look at Vͯ̊̑ͤ̃̓̇̓͑ͭ͋̋͌̉̇ͯí͋̀͗͒e̒̃̀ͦ́t̄̄̓ͩ̆̊͆̇͌̾̋̐̉́̔̍ͩn͂̈́͌̈́͊̽̚ā͒̽̍̎ͤ͗̏ͪ̽͒̂̎͌ͥm̾ͫ̋͛ͮ̈̆ͤ̓͂̓eͩͦͫ͆̂̇̆̏ͧͤs͗ͬ̋̒̿̈́̃̆ͧ̒͒̊e̋͊ͪ͂̒ͣ͆ͭ͐ͫͪ̈ͩ̓̒̌̋̚!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, poftim said:

You've got ten letters with diacritics which doesn't strike me as excessive. I suppose the six different types of diacritics is on the high side, but I don't think it matters. Any language you create is bound to be unusual in some way or else it would be kind of pointless. If you want to see serious diacritic action, look at Vͯ̊̑ͤ̃̓̇̓͑ͭ͋̋͌̉̇ͯí͋̀͗͒e̒̃̀ͦ́t̄̄̓ͩ̆̊͆̇͌̾̋̐̉́̔̍ͩn͂̈́͌̈́͊̽̚ā͒̽̍̎ͤ͗̏ͪ̽͒̂̎͌ͥm̾ͫ̋͛ͮ̈̆ͤ̓͂̓eͩͦͫ͆̂̇̆̏ͧͤs͗ͬ̋̒̿̈́̃̆ͧ̒͒̊e̋͊ͪ͂̒ͣ͆ͭ͐ͫͪ̈ͩ̓̒̌̋̚!

Or Polish, Czech, or even French and Spanish, but yes, I know it's a lot, but I also don't think it's excessive, but I mainly use them to keep the language as phonetically as possible (unlike English ;))

Òr Póliš, Tšèk, òr ivûn Frènš èn Spèniš, bût iès, ai nów its û lòt, bût ai òlsó dównt tink its eksesiv, bût ai méinli iuz dèm tu kip dû lènguûdzh ûs fónètikûli ûs pòsbûl (ûnlaik Iñliš) (English in my language's phonetics)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Linguistanerd changed the title to My Own Language (Ancient Post)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Similar Content

    • By Josip919
      Hello,
      I'm a new member here and I wanted to ask you if anyone had tried to learn languages that were invented like J.R.R. Tolkien's Elvish  or Klingon from Star Trek  ?
      I'm really interested in those but I don't want to invest much time in something that is "useless".
×
×
  • Create New...