Linguaholic

Influenced By TV or Music?

GaeilgeGirl

Has a television show or a song encouraged you to learn another language?  I have some friends who are watching The Exorcist TV show and it has inspired them to learn Latin.  I was inspired to learn Gaeilge after listening to Clannad and Anúna.  I watched a few Bollywood films and tried to learn Hindi because of them.  I also know a lot of people have decided to study Japanese because of their love of anime or Japanese video games.

I think that movies are the ones that have the biggest influence on me when it comes to language learning andthat sort of thing, that's how I learn the common slang and also some phrases as well. Music is quite good as well, but it's not as effective as movies, that's just my opinion though.

At first, I was mainly influenced by Japanese music and anime and to some extent, some video games in the Japanese language.  After taking one class in the Japanese language, I only came to realize that learning the language takes me to an entirely new level, as I need to study the topics rather seriously than just listening to music and anime for fun.  Listening to anime and music is not only fun, but also you learn some new words which you don't encounter in the regular lectures.  Athough both involve language learning, the regular classes make me learn in a serious manner.

What influenced me to learn Spanish was that I was forced into it by my high school schedule. I had no interest for it, but as I sat in class I did pick up on a few things. The following year after failing the previous year, I went back and had a chance to learn the language all over again, but I still hadn't perfected it. 

I always had fun in class and liked learning, but never payed attention enough to try to become fluent. Now I want to be an international business man, and need to be able to speak to people all over the planet. I want to be multilingual. 

I learned Hindi by watching Hindi TV channels and Hindi movies. I have been watching Hindi TV shows and Hindi movies since I was a child. I have never looked into Hindi language learning book, however, I am good at reading and listening, my understanding of the language is more than 90 percent. My spoken and written Hindi is just about 70 percent.

Yes, I remember that when I first heard the songs of the band Rammstein, it got me interested to know what their song titles meant in English, so I googled it at first. Then eventually I find myself pasting the whole lyrics of their songs on Google Translate.

No, not for me. That's mainly because I learn a language by living in a community that uses the language. That, for me, is the best way to learn a language. However, I do watch TV to keep myself familiar with a language I have learned. Like now, I am back in Malaysia. I was in Thailand for more than twenty years and I can speak, read and write Thai. However, where I live now, there's hardly anyone who is fluent in Thai, besides my son and my housemate. So the three of us keep up with the Thai language by watching Thai shows TV. Actually what we watch are archived Thai TV shows  on Youtube but it's still TV and it's still a good way to keep ourselves familiar with Thai.