Linguaholic

How did you learn spanish (or started learning it)?

Trellum

Hi everyone!  I'm a native spanish speaker, and I honestly feel really curious about how you guys (assuming you have a good level of spanish already) learnt the language?  Did you take a course? Had it in Highschool? 

I'm mostly asking because I learnt english on my own, completely on my own because back when I was going to school they weren't investing a lot on this... everything I learnt after 3 years there was: ''I'm from cholula''.  LOL!  So one day I logged into Yahoo chat and started observing and listening to the people over there talk and type... and that's how it started!

After a bit I decided it'd be a really good idea to find some pen pals to exchange some mails with, maybe a couple of chats from time to time.  It took me a while, but I managed to finally learn the language! The pronunciation was really hard at first tho (still is at times).

I learned Spanish mostly on my own with resources from the internet and books that I purchased. When I was getting a little better I found a couple pen pals from Spain that I emailed back and forth for for a while. They would correct my mistakes in Spanish and I found that very helpful. As for speaking and pronunciation, I have had the opportunity to travel to several Spanish speaking countries and while there I try to speak Spanish as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I started learning Spanish in school when I was 13 I think and about all they taught in the course was how to say "hello." After a year in high school, it was hardly any better. This happens mostly because in the U.S. they are really lazy about the teaching and speak to you in English -- also there's plenty of people in the classes who don't care to learn.

Most of what I learned was from trying to read and watch things... but there's a limit and I didn't really feel comfortable till I spent a year travelling around South America. Of course, as I spent 4 months of that time in Brazil I mix the Portuguese in there quite a bit!

Guest isabbbela

I actually learned the most watching tele novelas... as embarrassing as that sounds!!! I had classes too, but in school and college so I never learned much on those. Watching tv for me has always been a good way to learn!

That's great, Isabella :)  How advanced is your spanish level now?  Are you still working on it.  Because I agree that watching TV  can help a lot with pronunciation and so on, but it's never enough.  It can serve as a great side-aid  tho.  Have you tried practicing what you have learnt with other spanish students?  That can help a lot to boost your confidence, specially when you're not very happy with your pronunciation :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am a mixed nationality. My fathers side is Puerto Rican. English was the main language in my household but whenever I went to my dads side they spoke spanish. Eventually I began to naturally understand it and speak it. Thats how I was introduced to spanish.

I spoke Spanish until I was 4, but then forgot it when I went to school. Then I took a Spanish class in high school (it was required) and have been learning it ever since. I needed to learn it for my job at a video store in a hispanic neighborhood.

I started learning Spanish in  intermediate school and carried on learning it through high school. I chose it because it was a well known language and it looked like the Spanish had a very rich culture. I'm glad I chose to learn this language :)