Linguaholic

Do you find that workbooks help?

Do any of you feel as though workbooks help improve your Spanish language skills? I went out and bought myself a workbook from Barnes N' Noble, and I have to admit, it did teach me A LOT, especially the basics. I even became semi-fluent towards the end of the book. It was kind of expensive, but I think it was worth it. This day in age though, with so much technology, I wonder...Does anyone use workbooks anymore to learn a new language?

With so much accessibility to internet resources, workbooks can seem a little dated, but it doesn't diminish their effectiveness. I used a workbook in my Spanish high school class, and though the questions weren't particularly of great difficulty, it did do well in imprinting the basics through repetition.

I love workbooks. They help me put the sentences and paragraphs together correctly. This way when I am speaking I have practiced the order things go. I think they help out a lot. I think writing adds a lot to memorization. When I just listen and speak I do not retain the information nearly as well. When I write too, my retention goes way up.

I think the consistent practice from a workbook helps me immensely (all I need sometimes it the motivation to DO the activities, hah). It allows me to practice handwriting in Spanish as well, and I find that to be helpful when remembering things like accents and sentence structure.

Workbooks really help when it comes to learning any language.

However here the important fact is trying to construct sentences on your own without the aid of the workbook.

Workbooks are mostly to lean and practice your knowledge, but the final exam is using a notepad to write down your thoughts in Spanish (or language your studying) without needing to look at any book ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really looking for a Spanish refresher course, and it would be great to find it in an app for an iPod! Any ideas? I do love workbook formats, but do not have the space for books where I live these days, and can't really afford one anyway. Maybe there is a digital workbook via PDF somewhere out there on the internet...

I think work books are good when you are learning basic grammar and vocabulary. After that though, you are better reading literature or academic books in a particular language. There are so many nuances to every language that you can't always pick up from doing work books.

I think workbooks in general are pretty good. They help teach you the vocabulary and you can take learning the language in chapters rather than having it all scattered. I also find, for vocab, a website called memrise.com to be quite helpful.