Linguaholic

Do you watch any TV shows/movies in the language you are learning?

leahcim132

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

About half a year ago I was suggested a Turkish TV show which had English subtitles. I started watching it (it is available online) and I actually turned out to like it. I learned a few words, however, they are speaking so fast that it is hard for me as a beginner to really understand. But like I said, at least I like it, and I guess that the more Turkish I learn, the more I will understand from the show and be able to learn from context.

One of my friends actually managed to speak Hindi quite fluently after watching Hindi programs for a while! I believe it does help watching some programs in a particular language while learning the same. It facilitates the process of learning however watching TV programs alone does not help. It should only be used as a tool or aid.

Yep, all the time. My husband is from Peru so I will just sit and watch a show with him. Most of the time, I will understand the show too.

It took awhile to learn but eventually I learned what his family is saying to me. Mostly with TV, talking to friends, and also talking with the hubby.

Sure. It does immensely help me when people talk naturally. Of course, with any foreign language I don't know, I would appreciate it if they have subtitles xD. The first time I was attracted to foreign languages was when local TVs were releasing foreign series. I would go to the internet and then find the original version with subtitles.

My aunt loves watching german TV series. Without realizing I also join her in doing that. There is no subtitles, but I got hooked with the shows. Through constant hearing, there are some words that I can now understand. Although I still find it difficult to communicate on my own.

I mostly watch documentaries, but have also seen a few movies in German. If you find yourself in a situation where you don't have a lot of natives to talk to, then the only option is movies and tv really. Using books alone you can't train your pronounciation.

• 2 months later...

Yes, I do watch shows/movies in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. It is very interesting to hear how words sound and I enjoy the different cultures displayed in the movies and shows. I think that it really helps me to pronounce things how they are supposed to be pronounced, and at the same time, I am enjoying it, rather than sitting and reading in a classroom all day.

I don't watch any TV shows or movies in the language I am learning because I am really struggling with actually finding any TV shows or movies in the language I want to learn. And if anyone can help me finding a good Portuguese show or film it would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I watch movies in the language that I am learning all the time. It helps me  a lot with my vocabulary, especially if the English translation comes on the screen. I think it has become the norm for me now, that even my family find it quite funny and make fun at me for doing it :grin:.

• 2 months later...

I am watching some Tagalog Movies actually because I want to be fluent with my Filipino. I still can't watch their TV shows because I don't have time for it. But the movies are good practice especially with sub titles.

I watch Japanese dramas to study Japanese. I'll use subtitles (Japanese) when available, but when it's not I just listen to the audio and try my best to understand.

I always watched French films, whilst I was attempting to learning the language. Presently I am taken an interest in Spanish. The television program I watch with my 3 year old daughter is the cartoon "Dora The Explorer", as it aimed at a pre school audience, the basics of the language have been so easy to learn.