Linguaholic

Someones does?

Jellyfish

A few years ago I decided to learn some Swedish on my own and it turned out pretty well. When your native language is German there are a lot of similarities so you get easily into Swedish which is a pretty simple language the way it is used to day.

I managed to learn the language so much that I could easily read news and write some basic sentences. I don't understand much though when someones speaks Swedish.

I am a native Swedish speaker and I must say that I do NOT understand German at all, hehe. I actually had three German customers (in my boyfriend's market) today, and for some reason they insisted on speaking German.

That was a little off topic, I know. If you want to write in Swedish, or learn something new, just let me know. =)

Well, lol, it has been some time and I don't think I can do it just now. Isn't it that a lot of Swedish people speak German or at least know so much that they can communicate?

Maybe from the older generation, but I would not say that it is a general thing among the younger ones. German is a subject you can choose in 6th-7th grade, however, since many new modern languages (like Mandarin) have been added, most people tend to choose those ones. I don't think I know anyone in my age (22) that can speak German more than just a few phrases.

Maybe from the older generation, but I would not say that it is a general thing among the younger ones. German is a subject you can choose in 6th-7th grade, however, since many new modern languages (like Mandarin) have been added, most people tend to choose those ones. I don't think I know anyone in my age (22) that can speak German more than just a few phrases.

Well, then the old relations between Scandinavia and Germany may not be as tight anymore. You can choose Mandarin in 6th grade?

Well, then the old relations between Scandinavia and Germany may not be as tight anymore. You can choose Mandarin in 6th grade?

Mandarin is usually a subject you can choose in 'High School' (years 10-12), but I cannot say that there are NO schools that offer it from an earlier grade. The most common languages from grade 6 are German, French and Spanish, and from my own experience and from what my friends have told me, French and especially Spanish, are mostly chosen over German.

I am not saying that no one is choosing German, however, it is not so common anymore as it was before when German was an obligatory subject (many, many years ago).

• 4 months later...

As a swede learning German I totally agree with you! The languages are very similar and I think it makes the learning process a whole lot easier. There are also a lot of words that are basically (or exactly) the same in both languages so it makes it quite easy to understand German even though i haven't actaully learned it properly yet. However I find it much easier to understand written and spoken (slowly) German than it is to speak or write German myself.

• 2 months later...

Swedish is a pretty easy language, definitely. I think it's almost more close to English than to Germany, although I have studied only little Germany. But my point is, once you know English, it should be pretty easy to learn Swedish. (Not sure about people whose native tongue is English.)

Even as an English speaker I find that it doesn't take a lot to be able to read German, to a level of understanding the basics of what is being spoken about. So many similarities and when you learn suffixes and prefixes so much just comes naturally due to cognates.

• 4 months later...

Swedish is almost as easy as norwegian. Both native speakers can speak and understand each other, but they seem to have some issues when they stumble across a danish speaker.

Not sure about German tho.