Linguaholic

How many people here are learning Dutch?

Daedalus

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm not studying Dutch at the moment, but I'm interested in it and would love to study it in the future. Can you make a "Basic Dutch phrases" topic for those who are interested in learning Dutch?

I am not actively studying Dutch right now, just too busy. I have family in the Netherlands though. I have done some basic courses and know the absolute basics. I want to brush up before I go back to the Netherlands to visit. Unfortunately I don't have any immediate plans to travel any time soon.

There's a similar topic in the Japanese forum for Japanese phrases. Maybe you can make one like that for Dutch. Here's the topic:

http://linguaholic.com/japanese-vocabulary/basic-japanese-greetings/msg3936/#msg3936

It doesn't have to have the same phrases. You can add other phrases that you think are useful.

I'm not currently studying Dutch, but I know a couple people from the Netherlands. But written Dutch has always struck me as looking very much like English and that if I could just wake up, then I would be able to understand it entirely.

In addition to the common phrases thread, I think you should do another called "You already know Dutch..." and fill it with words that are very close or even identical in English and Dutch. The only thing I can think of right now is vader/father, but hopefully you get the idea.

I'm currently studying dutch :)  I might be moving to the Netherlands soon, so I really need to learn at least the basics of this difficult language.  My boyfriend is a native dutch speaker as well, his parents are originally from Amsterdam, we would actually like to move to Hoorn next year, but we will see what happens. 

Right now I'm trying to learn the basics, so far I've learnt to say: Ik spreek geen netherlands!  :laugh:  My boyfriend says he will teach me to say even more things in the future.

Where are you from exactly, OP? Do you happen to be from north holland as well?

^If you don't mind me asking, are you studying on your own or are you taking a class? Or I guess what I'm trying to ask is: is there a book you would recommend for learning Dutch?

I'm doing my best to learn the language for an anticipated move to the Netherlands, but it's not easy.  If you have any suggestions for learning to speak it, then I'd like to know.  I find that many sites offer the words, but not the audio for it.  I've tried out some words on some Dutch friends and they have no clue what I'm saying.  Saying it phonetically in English is getting me nowhere.