Linguaholic

Easiest language you've ever learned?

rgaz83

I know there's a thread on the hardest language you've ever learned, but what was the easiest? And what language(s) did you know at the time?

As for myself, I'm still working on it so I have no harder OR easier languages at the moment.  :laugh:

I say English because there’s English translation, explanation or counterpart for every Tagalog/Filipino words and our alphabet is the same with that of the English alphabet except for seven consonants that we’ve no use in our language. Also, to learn English is a required study in education sectors here (in the Philippines) and although it’s not our mother tongue, most Filipinos if not talking or writing in Tagalog would be speaking or writing in English.

English probably, if only because of how much it is ingrained in the lives of everyone. Even non-native speakers like me see English everywhere and it is an integral part of our lives making it easier to understand because of higher exposure to it.

I know there's a thread on the hardest language you've ever learned, but what was the easiest? And what language(s) did you know at the time?

As for myself, I'm still working on it so I have no harder OR easier languages at the moment.  :laugh:

How are your studies in Esperanto going? I heard it's supposed to be a very intuitive and simple language, guided by a strict set of rules.

Spanish is probably the easiest. Having a baseline knowledge of French really helped me transition in that regard.

For me it was English no doubt because I learned it as a kid and I don't even recall having a hard time. I  have studied it for possibly 10 years and that is a long time. With the help of all the TV shows in English and the internet I think it makes a complete learning. Not that my English is perfect or near from it of course...  :frozen:

The easiest language that I have learned was Spanish. This might partly be because it was the first foreign language that I really tried to learn. Spanish has a very easy pronunciation for an English speaker, certainly much easier than French or Chinese. Spanish grammar can be difficult at times but if you don't stress about it and try to get everything perfect from the start, I think it is not really that bad.

I think English is the easiest. I started learning since I was young. Maybe I'm just saying it because English is my second language. But I'm thinking if I did not learn it before and will just start learning now, will I still find it easy? I don't think so. :wink:

For me it was English, mostly because we are so exposed to the English language in Sweden. Movies and television shows are translated, not dubbed, and video games and such are mostly in English. Since we start learning English in school from such an early age, continuous English learning is not so difficult.

Like everyone else here, English was the easiest for me :) I didn't learn it at school thought because they didn't teach it, I just spent years watching tv, playing video games, reading books, surfing the internet in English. Also, because it's a popular and a very important language which moyivated me to learn it  :smile:

English, I learnt it on my own and it was quite easy!  It took me around six months to grasp most of the language's structure (verb conjugation, order, word order, etc).  I started with the pronunciation part much later, I left it for the end, because I was extremely shy. 

Thankfully I got a job as an au pair in Norway, so I got to speak a lot english over there (I didn't know a word of norwegian).  I got to learn some norwegian over there, but not much :)  I met my first boyfriend over there, he was kurdish and spoke english, kurdish and norwegian.  So we had to speak in english :)  That helped me a lot, because that's when I started to feel truly confident :)  That work experience helped me a lot :)

Even though I haven't learned it fully, I'm going to say Hindi is the easiest for me, I think just because I like the language a lot and I am motivated to learn it. I learned English when I was very young and first move here, so it was very easy for me to pick up.

Though I am a bit rusty now, I found learning German pretty easy back in the day.  The rules of the language are logical and it is not to far from English.

I'm finding Spanish more difficult to grasp.  I don't know if it is because it is a Romance language, if I'm getting older, or both.  :confused:

Spanish was the easiest for me, but that's most likely because i learned it when i was very young. I've read many studies that show linguistic skills are the most adaptive when a child is in their early developmental stages. Growing up with 2 languages almost makes it second nature.